1981 Allegro Motor Home, good Deal??

Old 03-13-05, 06:53 AM
1981 Allegro Motor Home, good Deal??

I am thinking about buying a 29' 81 Allegro motor home. Price $5000. OBO. They tell me it has only 48,000 K original miles? It has a Dodge 440 motor,new radiator and hoses,Onan 4K generator,solar battery charger, new tires, new AC, new fridge, and many other interior improvements. The only thing I could find wrong with it was the exhaust maniflod seemed to have some leakage. Someone told me this could be very expensive to repair, does anyone know about what that would cost to fix? Would this be something I could do myself? or is this something that a Muffler repair shop should be able to handle? Thanks for any info. RH

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-05, 07:33 AM
Wink

Id ask at a muffler shop for sure. Also that old and low miles you say most new. Ill bet that every wheel seal has to be put in . If you dont just drive them around every month a little the seals go out. I know mine did.

ED

Old 03-13-05, 10:39 AM
Hey Ed,
Thanks for your reply, yes, about the wheel seals, Well you know, the guy claims he drives it around at least once a month to keep everything working, but I do know that a lot of things can go bad from just sitting around, Anyway, maybe I should jack up at least the front wheels, and give them a good shake to check for play etc.I know sometimes the tie rod ends can also go bad. you mention you have a motor home? how often do you use it? What make is it? is it an older model? I have never owned one before , so this is all new to me, but with gas prices going up all the time, and this thing getting about 7 mph, it will surely cost me a small fortune to operate. I think it holds about 65 gallons, so it would cost me around $150. to fill it up. Thanks again, RH

Old 03-13-05, 12:04 PM
Thumbs down

Hey see your down here in FL Im in west palm.
Ok had a 24ft Winnebago 89 now this was in 96.Went over it and had to put new seals in the rear axles and brakes is about all. Left from here went to alaska and back 15,000 miles . took 3 months. Got back and sold it. So it didnt cost me much for the RV . For gas and parks that cost a lot. I would fly up there now and rent one then fly back. Have a son has a 34 ft forgot the name I cant see the $$$ it cost to go some where in it and the $$$ that could be in the bank. Or take my daughter cost her $500.00 in a car to come down here gas motel food and 4 days on the road 2 down and 2 back. Her and hub just came down on a plane$300 for both down and back up 1 day down and 1 day back.
Up north alaska and canada and out west some states you can park and it dont cost you. But look around here the cost are high for a campground and now gas ,here we are $2.11 already. If you have say some land to go play on are know some beach you can just hide on go for it. but if you will be on the road and have to pay at a park SORRY but Id forget it

ED

Old 03-15-05, 06:27 PM
Well, it looks like the guy may have sold it, so I wont have to think about it anymore. My first idea was to get it just for the generator, cause it would be nice to have when a hurricane knocks out the power around here, like it did a while back with all those storms we had. And also, we could take it camping maybe once or twice a month, just short trips around Florida, and we could also use it for a guest house when someone might need a place to stay for a day or two. Anyway, I will still keep my eye out for another one, you never know what you might find around here. RH

Old 03-17-05, 01:39 PM
Wink

Hey for what you want go for it. Keep looking around for one.With the gas cost here and if you can go up to about 8K for it you can get a real good one. The Gen on them most of the time is 4KW so you can keep some stuff in the home on it also.
Have fun I know we did
ED