Advance timing lights

Old 03-18-05, 04:32 PM
TRM
Visiting Guest
Question Advance timing lights

I recently received an Advance timing light. I am somewhat familiar with timing lights in general, but not familiar with this added feature. How does this light differ from regular timing lights and how do I get the best use out of it? I also received a Dwell/Tachometer and am equally unfamiliar with its usage. I do know that I have a 1976 Ford F-100, with a 360 engine, that I am intending to fix up! Any detailed explanations or references to threads that might clear things up for me would be greatly appreciated. Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-05, 06:17 PM
Your timing light will have a control to vary the flash of the light in regards to engine rpm and degrees of crankshaft rotation as well as a read-out to show this variation.

We can use a light such as this to it's best advantage by marking the damper/timing tab at 0 deg. and using the adjustment to zero the mark and read the guage. This makes childs play of checking mechanical and vacuum advance.

Be aware that I have yet to see a timing light on this nature that can handle multi-strike ignition systems.

Old 04-02-05, 04:04 PM
TRM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll have to try it out a few times to actually understand the whole concept! Thanks again. Tom