94 chevy 4x4 front axle seal replacement?

Old 03-27-05, 05:50 PM
94 chevy 4x4 front axle seal replacement?

I asked this in the car forums a few weeks ago and just noticed that there is a trucks forum so I will ask again.left side axle seal is leaking.Once I get the outer CV joint stub axle out, will the inner short axle slide out ? or is there some sort of retainer holding it in?.I had both replaced when I bought the truck in 96 so is this also common and should I replace the axle with a new one since it might have a seal groove wore in?Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-05, 05:42 AM
Depernding on the mke of the differential assy it should just pull out if not you will have to remove the Diff cover remove the center pin and than the C clip on the axel

Old 03-28-05, 05:54 PM
Thanks again
Dont know if it makes a difference but the housing is a split case, does'nt have the pumpkin cover.
Thanks

Old 05-08-05, 12:04 PM
rocky 9
Visiting Guest
you need to remove the half shaft , by removing the lwr ball joint. The half shaft is bolted to the axle stub at the diff. It should then be pryed loose as it is in with a retaining ring. Unless ya have some patience , the half shaft is tight to remove from the truck. Finally remove original seal and tap in new. reinstall parts.Refill case, Should take ya a couple hours depending on tools and work speed.

Old 05-08-05, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the replys
I did get it changed without removing lower balljoint.
Just took some patience.Removed wheel,Lower transfer case bolt so I could pry it down a little to clear inner axle to frame ( just barely), a few swear words towards designers, removed lower shock bolt and compressed shock, removed 5 flange bolts to outer half shaft and removed outer half shaft and tapped inner axle flange while applying a little pressure with a pry bar and it popped right out.Thanks for info.Now that that is done the other side felt ignored and decided to show signs of starting to leak.Now that I know what to do as far as inner axle,does the axle tube assy. on the right side need removed to get the inner axle out?Thanks as always.