'03 Ford F150 / Runnin' rough in Drive

Old 04-01-05, 03:27 PM
Capthook
Visiting Guest
'03 Ford F150 / Runnin' rough in Drive

Okay, been trying to help my nieghbor out with this one for the last week or so. We went mud-boggin; he took his into this 'mud lake' and stopped the engine cold. Couldn't get the started, blah blah blah - then we took it to Ford. They told us it was the harmonic balancer $800 for the part + labor. We bought it for $120 , replaced it, now it starts up and idles great (with overdrive blinking, however we did let out a quart or so to see the color of the fluid) and runs very rough (engine idle wise) in drive. Actually sounds like it's puttin' along and motor doesn't sound right @ all. Any suggestions would be great, he wants to dump the '85 aerostar the co. gave him after the truck died..

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-05, 06:44 PM
Ok... it idles great.... but it idles very rough ..... There seems to be some confusion here.

What engine... whether the idle is great or whether the idle is rough and any codes stored in the PCM is where to start....

If this unit was submerged, there is cahnce for water in the plug wells and any other number of concerns.

Old 04-01-05, 07:08 PM
Capthook
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by mechanic
Ok... it idles great.... but it idles very rough ..... There seems to be some confusion here.

What engine... whether the idle is great or whether the idle is rough and any codes stored in the PCM is where to start....

If this unit was submerged, there is cahnce for water in the plug wells and any other number of concerns.
No confusion - while in park, it idles fine / sounds great. When we put it into drive, it surges when you step on the gas and doesn't sound so hot.

Ok, so I put some tranny fluid in it today and drove it around the block with my friend. OD light kept on blinking, It seems like its surging to me-- plugs / wires could be the problem, its sputtering along and it's hard for him to keep it @ speed. So when he took it into 'the pit' I'm pretty sure the front plugs (1 + 4?) were submerged in the mud. We're taking the truck to Pep Boys tomorrow to have the code read, I'll post A.S.A.P.

Old 04-02-05, 07:46 PM
Capthook
Visiting Guest
Obd Ii Test Data

Readiness Test Status:

Misfire: Ready
Components: Ready
Heated Catalyst: N/A
2nd Air System : N/A
O2 Sensor : Not Ready
EGR System: Ready
Fuel System: Ready
Catalyst: Not Ready
Evap System: Not Ready
A/C System: N/A
02 Heater: Not Ready

Diagnostic Trouble Codes

P0340 - CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR A CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION (BANK 1 OR SINGLE SENSOR)

P0443 - EVAP CONTROL SYSTEM PURGE CONTROL VALVE CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION

P1451 - ??
P1747 - ??
P0750 - SHIFT SOLENOID A MALFUNCTION
P0755 - SHIFT SOLENOID B MAILFUNCTION
P0743 - TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH CIRCUIT ELECTRICAL
P0135 - O2 SENSOR HEATER CIRCUIT MAILFUNCTION (BANK 1, SENSOR 1)
P0141 - O2 SENSOR HEATER CIRCUIT MAILFUNCTION (BANK 1 SENSOR 2)
P0155 - O2 SENSOR HEATER CIRCUIT MAILFUNCTION (BANK 2 SENSOR 1)

Please tell me these are a chain reaction to one bad o2 sensor hahaha

Old 04-02-05, 10:26 PM
I would start with a very close inspection under the truck.... If all of these problems started with the truck taking a bath, ther could be wiring concerns, Without knowing how badly this thing was submerged or getting alook at it personally, it can be hard to suggest what to look at first.

There are "pattern" failures that we see regularly.... these are a result of normal driving. In your case, it is hard to ascribe a patten failure to any of your symptoms.

Old 04-03-05, 08:06 AM
Capthook
Visiting Guest
Taking it into the dealer on Monday. I'll post what happens here

Old 04-12-05, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by Capthook
Taking it into the dealer on Monday. I'll post what happens here
My guess would be the MAS (Mass Air Sensor) detecting water or mud in the intake tube or a COP (Coil Over Plug) short circuit. Both are easy to replace. The MAS more than likely only needs cleaning, however...

Old 05-28-05, 06:43 AM
Capthook
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Big Orn
My guess would be the MAS (Mass Air Sensor) detecting water or mud in the intake tube or a COP (Coil Over Plug) short circuit. Both are easy to replace. The MAS more than likely only needs cleaning, however...
Nope. Wasn't the MAS. Did you read my post from the Dealership? Truck was fixed, it ended up being the Harmonic Balancer as well as some more wires which got wet and shorted I guess. The ford dealer fixed everything under warranty, however the truck did it the next week and we had to take it back again. As fas as the AMM goes, - an failing Air Mass Meter will cause a vehicle to run really rough - and naturally that was the very first thing I checked. Had one go in a Volvo I own, it's a different breed of problem all together. Since the truck really didn't suck any mud into the intake everything in there was clean as a wistle.

Old 06-02-05, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Capthook
Nope. Wasn't the MAS. Did you read my post from the Dealership?
Where is your post from the dealership...?

Old 06-29-05, 11:51 AM
So, Capthook, did you ever find that post from the dealer?

I would like to read it...

Old 06-29-05, 04:35 PM
Water and electricity just don't go together. Betcha this truck will have chronic problems from now on.
Pep Boys!!! oh brother!

Search this Thread