89 chevy 350

Old 04-12-05, 07:47 PM
rjag1946
Visiting Guest
89 chevy 350

own a 89 mallard sprinter 22ft. mh. has a chevy 350 ingine w/ 48000 mi. on it.the (service ingine soon) light just came on. there is no problem w/ the engine, and everything seems normal, (gauges, performance, etc.). is this something i should be verry worried about? if so how do i find out what needs servicing? can i do this myself? would this year ingine have a on board diagnostic syst?? if so could i check this out w/out any speciatlly tools? would appreciate any info. THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-05, 05:42 AM
well the codes need to be read to determin what the problem is there is a conecter under the dash by the stearing column if you jump pins A&B together than turn ignition on (not start) the check engine lamp will flash codes you must count the flashes thay are 2 diget codes for eg. 2 shor flashes than a small wait than 5 more flashes would be code 25
after you retreave the code if you get back to mei can tell you what it means and a posible repair on the plug a&b should be the top 2 left pins

Old 04-13-05, 06:55 AM
rjag1946
Visiting Guest
chevy 350

thanks for the info, wil get back to u + let u know what i find.

Old 04-16-05, 05:45 AM
engine light

Auto Zone will read the codes for free. I know on my chevy if I don't make the gas tank lid click several times it will make the check engine light come on. But mine is a 98 so it may be different.

Old 04-23-05, 10:24 AM
The parts stores only have an OBDII scan reader. No real diagnostic equipment and since this vehicle is pre-1996 it does not comply to OBDII. Test it as per previous instructions and let us know what you have.
Billy