Utility trailer question

Old 04-25-05, 12:47 PM
Utility trailer question

Not an auto question, but don't see a place for trailers, so here it is.
I have a 2004 4x8 utility trailer (1500GVW) that I just bought used, will be towing wih a 2001 Dakota 4x4. I need to extend the tongue a bit because the A frame of the trailer will hit my bumper if I turn too sharp (won't make a 45 degree angle right now). I was going to install a reciever but ruled that out due to the price and of more importance, the weight of it (I don't tow that much, and the reciever assembles are quite heavy, I get bad enough gas mileage, don't need to add another 100lbs). Is there a longer than normal tounge assemble available? I've been looking around but can't seem to find one.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-05, 11:31 PM
I would suggest that you go with a receiver or possibly even just a bumper bolted receiver if your concerned about weight.
if you decide the trailer must be modified then see a trailer shop to find out your options.

Old 04-26-05, 11:48 AM
I looked at the bumper bolted recievers, cost as much as a full class 3 reciever, main problem was all the class 2 recievers I found cost more than a class 3. Went to walmart just to look, they had a class 3 for $109, about average, I could barely lift the box, could only imagine that monster hangin off the back of my truck. Finally found one from Draw-tite, 35lbs and $90.

Old 05-06-05, 05:25 PM
4wheelfan
Visiting Guest
My Personal Opinion

is that a class two hitch is too light, don't even consider it if you are putting anything at all on the trailer. I assume you are as you purchased it.
How to put a cheap hitch on, find a buddy like me who is mechanically inclined and ask him to goto a wrecking yard with you one evening or weekend
I usually find hitches there quite often when I am looking for parts for vehicles for friends. The last hitch I bought, two months ago. $20.00 canadian plus tax, noone can touch that price and it was in pretty decent shape. It took 4 minutes with a long extension cord, a 4" grinder, and a few wrenches to take it off. Then I put the old wire brush to use on it for half an hour, looked clean, so I put some solvent on to ensure its cleanliness, almost an hour total now. Then I let it dry over supper and then applied four coats of gloss black tremclad $5.00. Then I had a trailer & hitch place install it on my brother's Jeep, warranty , for $50.00, and it has been used ever since. Probably the cheapest B-day gift I ever gave out. Then I put one on mine a few weeks later, why not.

Seriously, a class two will haul very little and a class 3 weighs in at virtually the same weight, I own a 3/4 tonne dodge and it tows much heavier items than it should all the time with litte or no mileage difference on the highway. Given there are no serious hills either, and its a standard which is usually worse for towing. I max the gvrw many times and I only lose three miles to the gallon, maybe four. Basically, my mileage is like I am driving in a hurry across town, when loaded.
Hope that helps,
Randy
rc

Old 05-06-05, 05:34 PM
I bought a class II from Draw-Tight. The trailer's GVW is 1500, the bumper on my truck is rated 2000lbs with a 200lb tongue weight, the class II hitch is rated 3000lbs with a 300lb tongue weight, the class II seems more than adequate as it's rated twice what the trailer can carry. Why are you saying it's not enough? The class III I looked at was easily 2-3 times the weight of the one I got.

Old 05-07-05, 10:15 PM
You likjelt won't find a hitch extension that will both extend the trailer and maintain the GVW. I am not familiar with the frming of a dakota but you might be able to get a dropped hitch assaembly frbricated at a welding shop perhaps. But a receiver will not have as much gas mileage effect as you think and it might be an option to look at a wreck for one (they usually run abouit 1/2 price)

Search this Thread