91 F150 Starting Problem

Old 05-12-05, 01:54 PM
Woodbird
Visiting Guest
91 F150 Starting Problem

I just replaced the battery in this truck. Everything was fine for a couple of days and then when I turned the ignition nothing happens. All the dashboard lights up when turning the ignitions and I seem to have plenty of charge but there is no engine turnover. I was suspicious of the solenoid between the battery and starter but something else is funny. There is very little tension when turning the ignition and it does not spring back after turning it. I would think that I would still have some tension on the ignition key even if the engine was not turning over. Another issue is that I cannot get the transmission out of "Park". I have tried with the key in the on position and with my foot on the brake. Would this issue also point toward a problem with the ignition? Is there anyway to check this out without taking the sterring column apart. Is there an ignition kit for this model? Any advise would be greatly apprectiated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-05, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
check the brake lights are thay working you may have a bad switch which would cause the shifter not to move i would check for power at the solinoid to see if it gets there also have someone turn the key and place test lamp on the small wire on solinoid and see if you get power if yes than ignition is ok if no check ignition sitch on coloumn

Old 06-09-05, 10:45 PM
tzinquaw
Visiting Guest
Ignition

Did you ever fix this problem? Mine has just done the same thing. I tried a new key and barrel, but its deeper than that. I think its the socket that the key barrel goes into, which means taking the wheel off right?

Old 06-10-05, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by tzinquaw
I think its the socket that the key barrel goes into, which means taking the wheel off right?
you meen the ignition switch this is on the side of the colomn no need to pull the wheel just remove the lower cover and you should see it

Old 06-19-05, 10:23 AM
I bet the truck has a tilt column? This is a common occurance on these if it does and the steering column will have to be torn down. There's a "cog" or that's what i call it , inside the the column that breaks. The key and cylinder goes into a gear which truns or slides this "cog" up and down which in-turn moves the electrical ignition switch attached near the middle part of the column. I'd recommend a shop fix it though, it can be tricky.
You might check the electrical switch first though to be on the safe side.