89 chevy pu intermitten starting

Old 05-12-05, 04:03 PM
glen sparkman
Visiting Guest
89 chevy pu intermitten starting

Hi, I have a 89 chevy pu that won't start some times.It will start after twenty min. or so. I have had at several shops they can't tell what to fix if they can't make it not start. One shop sugested it may be the fuel pump,but they are taking a stab at it. I would like to be more shure befor I throw more mony at it. Any ideas?????

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-05, 07:40 PM
thay are right if the simptoms are not present at the time it happens your guess is as good as the best Tech around when this happens besides not starting what are the simptoms dose it turn over when you turn the key can you here the fuel pump buzz dose it have spark if it turns over next time it happens get someone to help you keep an old spark plug in the glove box put take a sparkplug wire off at one plug place the test plug othe wire make sure the base of the plug is touching mettal let go of it have helper try and start truck and see if you are getting spark if so than you probobly narrowed it down to fuel which than you would need a pressure tester for buit at least than you can let your tech know what you found when you did these test if you cant here the fuell pump buzz from in the truck have helper in truck and than put your ear near filler tube and have helper turn key to run posion and listen for the pump
Good luck and let us know what you find

Old 06-27-05, 05:15 PM
FireFighterMike
Visiting Guest
00 chevy sil pu intermittenly wont start

Hi... My chevy pu every once in a while like now... won't start... if I wait 20 minutes, it will start up and run until the next time it does this... nobody seems to know what it is... If I try before the 20 is up... then I have to wait another 20... It starts up and then just dies... I can hear the fuel pump buz on as I turn the key... mike

Old 06-28-05, 06:56 AM
you need to check for spark so start there and let us know