How do i troubleshoot a short

Old 05-26-05, 05:47 PM
How do i troubleshoot a short

I have been chasing an electrical problem on my 1990 f-150 for some time now. I have replaced all cables from starter to battery andthat didseem to help the starting problem i had. But now I have a problem with the battery draining completly in the matter of days if left too long. I was wondering if this knd of truck had any hotspots in regards to dead shorting problems and what it the best way to troubleshoot this problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-05, 07:17 AM
you are looking for a Drain not a short a short is something that will keep blowing fuses anyway if you do not have amp probes and other diagnoses equipment the only way would be to pull a fuse and see if it still drains the battery if it dose than keep doing this until you find the circuit that is draining once you pin point the circuit than find out what is in that circuit and start checking which subsystem is staying on than you will than be able to determine what to do to stop it this is the long way to go about it but it will work

Old 06-04-05, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by AutoDoc
you are looking for a Drain not a short a short is something that will keep blowing fuses anyway if you do not have amp probes and other diagnoses equipment the only way would be to pull a fuse and see if it still drains the battery if it dose than keep doing this until you find the circuit that is draining once you pin point the circuit than find out what is in that circuit and start checking which subsystem is staying on than you will than be able to determine what to do to stop it this is the long way to go about it but it will work
Do these amp probe break the wallet? If it makes it easier on me and it is not to expensive I am all for it!

Old 06-04-05, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Wonderslug
I have been chasing an electrical problem on my 1990 f-150 for some time now. I have replaced all cables from starter to battery andthat didseem to help the starting problem i had. But now I have a problem with the battery draining completly in the matter of days if left too long. I was wondering if this knd of truck had any hotspots in regards to dead shorting problems and what it the best way to troubleshoot this problem.
Is there any long term damage done to a battery if it drains completely??

Old 06-05-05, 05:02 PM
thay are not real cheep and yes if a battery discharges totaly a lot it will eventualy not be good any more

Old 06-10-05, 08:55 PM
No expensive equipment required. If you can find an older style test light, that is, one that is not 'computer safe' (without a ground light), simply remove one of the battery cables, clip the light on to the battery and affix the other end to the cable. Shut everything down and start removing fuses. When the light goes dull, you have found the circuit.

Old 06-10-05, 08:56 PM
Note: sometimes the alternator is at fault, in which case it won't show up by pulling fuses.

Old 06-10-05, 08:57 PM
In which case, simply disconnect the alternator and look for the same thing. Time for bed. Thoughts stuttering . . .