86 International 6.9 Diesel preventive maintenance

Old 06-03-05, 08:40 PM
Artemas
Visiting Guest
Exclamation 86 International 6.9 Diesel preventive maintenance

Greetings,
I recently was given a 1986 Bluebird International schoolbus with a 6.9 diesel engine in it. I want to baby this thing and do some preventive maintenance. I have been a gasoline mechanic for over 20 years but have NEVER worked on a Diesel before.
#1 Is there a descent web site that teaches diesel basics?
#2 What would you suggest to change/ replace for preventive maintenance
#3 Obviously oil would be changed but what weight to replace it with?

Also the brakes system is different with a bus as I have noticed. I have a hard time steering and braking at the same time. If I turn hard at slow/no speeds the brakes dont hold very long. Are bus brakes not designed to hold on for long periods of time? I have to keep pumping them to stay still or put tranny in neutral.

All in all, I love the diesel engine. not much to replace and not much to go wrong overall compared to a gas vehicle. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-05, 09:45 AM
well other than oil change and lubes not much more to do the oil should be a 15W40 i would change the fuel filter and air filter if you are having starting problems i would check the glow plugs and igniter as for the breaks no thay should work the same as any thing eles except it needs a vaccum pump because the engine dose not produce vaccum check for shoe adjustment and ware also check and see how much vaccum there is it may also have a hydroboost system that works off power stearing that system would be like the 80s gm pickups well good luck if you need any more info let me know

Old 06-08-05, 08:35 AM
As good as this site is www.thedieselstop.com is by far the best ford diesel website going. That should help you with all maintainance issues.