1996 Ford Explorer 'Check Engine' Light

Old 06-05-05, 01:13 AM
1996 Ford Explorer 'Check Engine' Light

My 1996 Explorer has had almost no problems and has served me well over the years, but a few months ago the 'check engine' light came on. I've got almost 175,000 miles on the baby, and I opened the hood, checked the engine, and sure enough, it was still there.

Haven't had it code scanned, because the light went off. Then it came back on. Seems that it comes on when I fill the tank full, then it stays on for a few fill ups, but if I let it get to almost empty before filling up, the light goes off. It stays off for a while then seems to come back on if I fill the fuel to the brim...?

The only mechanical problem I've had was the serpentine belt idler pulley (not the tensioner) falling apart during a trip 20,000 miles ago. Replaced it and belt and it's been fine ever since. I have a power inverter and a GPS installed, but they plug into the cig lighter type power outlets and draw little current....

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-05, 10:13 PM
cant really offer any help other than to have codes scanned and see what code or codes is stored in the computer there is just to many things that can cause a check engine light to be set.
in the future you may consider not filling the tank to the maximum as it has sensors which monitors the gas tank vapor pressures and squeezing that extra gallon into the tank after it has kicked off is not beneficial and could even be harmful to the system.

Old 06-05-05, 11:28 PM
Well for some reason, the government in this area has decided that having the little ratchets on the fuel pump handles is a horrible thing and has made them dangerouly illegal. I happen to find them quite helpful so my tank can fill while I was the windows, and it seems that most states feel that this is perfectly safe.

So I jam my wallet in the handle so the fuel tank fills while I do the windsheild thing. When the tank is full, the pump stops, I pry my wallet out and go pay for my gasoline purchase. I do not fill it beyond the point where the nozzle shuts it off automatically.

I guess I should feel lucky that I don't live in New Jersey where it is illegal to fill your own tank with fuel. I was there a few years ago and stopped for what I thought was a routine fill up and potty break. I got out and started to fill up while my wife and daughter went inside to use the restroom when an attendant came out and hurled obscenities at me, making me feel like I was commiting some felony... "YOU CAN'T DO THAT!! GET AWAY!!" ... Excuse me?

Sorry I rambled once again!