99 Dodge Diesel A/C shuts off

Old 06-16-05, 09:29 AM
jldodge
Visiting Guest
99 Dodge Diesel A/C shuts off

My A/C shuts off. It shuts off a lot sooner at 70 mph than 55 mph. It has never shut off when the truck is idling. When it does shut off I get a A/C smell from the vents. I had the coolant checked, it's okay. The pressure was okay in the shop. Hard to check going down the highway at 70 mph..........Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-05, 11:10 AM
what exactly do you mean by a/c shutting off, are you having any problems with the a/c not cooling the vehicle.
it is normal for the compressor to cycle on and off and it will cycle more at 70mph than at 50mph as higher rpm and more airflow makes the system more efficient so it cycles the compressor off to prevent evaporator from freezing.
while it is capable of cycling at idle speeds also but it may not cycle until the a/c has been running for a long period of time and depending on outside temperatures, you may notice it cycling even at idle on a cool 75 degree day or morning than if it was 90 degrees outside.

Old 06-16-05, 11:16 AM
jldodge
Visiting Guest
When it shuts off it quits blowing cold air. It works fine until it shuts off...........Thanks.

Old 06-17-05, 03:28 AM
the problem only occurs while driving the vehicle or once the a/c shuts off does it come back on when the vehicle comes to a stop?
you may have to see a shop and have them test drive the vehicle until it acts up to determine what the problem is a bad a/c clutch can be intermitant or there may be an electrical problem elsewhere.

Search this Thread