Question about k & N filters

Old 06-17-05, 12:08 AM
Question about k & N filters

I have a friend who swears by those aftermarket type filters that can cost anywhere from 50-70 dollars. The ones that make claims about better gas mileage and engine longevity such as k&N. Are they worth the money? Are their claims true? Or are they just a big fat placebo?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-05, 04:36 AM
advantages would be they can be cleaned and reused will probably last the life of the vehicle and they are capable of allowing better airflow than most stock airfilters.
disadvantages would be expense, doesnt filter the air as well as most paper filters wich will not help with engine longevity in anyway. will not increase gas mileage or power at all in most cases and are better suited for non stock or high performance engines that may be capable of taking advantage of increased airflow than the stock filter could provide.

Old 06-18-05, 10:04 PM
plumerdan
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

i have had k&n filters on every vehical i own or have owened. i think they work great,you can basicly forget to clean them and they work forever this year when i had my truck smogged,i forgot to clean the filter(it was about a year since i'd cleaned it) and it passed with flying colors..

Old 06-19-05, 02:45 PM
A filter that does not need to be cleaned is not filtering . . . . These filters need regular maintenance. They must be cleaned an re-oiled as recommended. The oil is what captures the dirt.

Old 06-26-05, 09:00 AM
K&N air filters are junk for anthing other than a race engine. They let in way too much air for a stock engine and it will severly shorten engine life.

Old 06-29-05, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by easywind
K&N air filters are junk for anthing other than a race engine. They let in way too much air for a stock engine and it will severly shorten engine life.
I agree with easywind. If you want to take in more air (intake) you need to let more air out (exhaust)...like open headers on a race engine. K&N filters do not increase anything but the potential for engine trouble.

Old 07-05-05, 06:53 PM
my concern

My concern that with the newer engines is the MAF sensor It must be clean I am thinking that oil might get on them and then problems will surface there big ugly head.