Starting problem..

Old 06-19-05, 10:27 PM
Starting problem..

My 1990 f-150 has a starting problem. I had posted it here before and it was suggested that it had to do with the wiring to the starter or the starter itself. I replaced the wiring and the celinoid (it was cheap) and had the battery altenator and starter either checked or replaced and all check out ok.

The problem seems to happen when the truck get warm...it almost turns over but then struggle to the point where you think its dead and (thanks to the rewiring i had done) 80% of the time it will turn over ( the other twenty well lets just say it has made me look pretty stupid pushing it away from a gas sation with a full tank of gas!).

Now to add to this I also notice a power drain on the batttery when the beast is parked. I can make it stop by disconnecting the large (approx 12 or 10 gauage wire) yellow wire for the battery side of the selinoid poles. When I connect it back you hear a clicking noise within a few seconds of livening that wire. Is this clicking noise I hear normal? Is these two problems i have stated interconnected somehow?

P.S. The large wire when disconnected completely cuts the power supply to the ignition system.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-05, 05:52 AM
THe noise is normal when you conect power this would be relays engaging what you need to do is start pulling fuses 1 at a time so you can narow down the circut which is causing drain i would also have the alternator checked to see if it is working properly on key off sometimes thay will charge ok but will not shut down and cause a drain also double check your grounds if when you have a hard time restarting hook up a jumper cable to the battery negitive and to the case of the starter see if it starts or turns over faster if so you have a ground isue

Old 06-21-05, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by AutoDoc
THe noise is normal when you conect power this would be relays engaging what you need to do is start pulling fuses 1 at a time so you can narow down the circut which is causing drain i would also have the alternator checked to see if it is working properly on key off sometimes thay will charge ok but will not shut down and cause a drain also double check your grounds if when you have a hard time restarting hook up a jumper cable to the battery negitive and to the case of the starter see if it starts or turns over faster if so you have a ground isue
I have done the jumper cable trick to check my ground and it appears fine. Now you say that an altenator will drain off a battery is there any way I cancheck this myself or is this something that requires certain diagnostics only a rebuild shop might have?

Old 06-21-05, 09:06 PM
as i said start shutting down circuts one by one to find the one at fault as for the Alt take it to a rebuilder and have them test it ask them to check if the alt is posibly shorted inside causing drain

Old 06-22-05, 03:22 AM
if you hear relays clicking when you hook up the wire it would be normal if the key was in the on position but not normal if it was in the off position.
perhaps you can narrow down wich relay is clicking and describe the color of the connector, location etc.

Old 06-22-05, 12:44 PM
[QUOTE=bejay]if you hear relays clicking when you hook up the wire it would be normal if the key was in the on position but not normal if it was in the off position.
perhaps you can narrow down wich relay is clicking and describe the color of the connector, location etc.[/QUOTE

I have discovered that the drain ceases to exist once the biggest yeaalow wire is removed form it pwr source on the relay. Furthermore the click doe exist without the resence of the key in the ignition at all so thx for the heads up. At least I know where to start!