1988 Ford f-150

Old 08-25-05, 01:36 PM
foxkr
Visiting Guest
Question 1988 Ford f-150

Have 1988 Ford f-150 2wd with a 302. Here is the problem I am having and want help to figure out what is causing. When truck is started it runs for couple of seconds then stalls. If I place one foot on brake then tap gas and slide into gear it is fine. After I have in gear and roll it is fine and can put back into park and idle. It has died while driving twice in last two weeks. Anyone have any suggestions. Let me know if any other info is needed to help. Thanks for the help, Kevin

Last edited by foxkr; 08-25-05 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-26-05, 03:23 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if it is dying basicly only when your foot is not on the gas try cleaning the throttle plates with carb cleaner there is usually deposits that form just behind the throttle plate which restricts airflow causing the base idle to be low after cleaning you can run engine until it reaches operarting temperature and with all accesories off disconnect the idle air bypass motor it is a 2 wire connector and it is usually bolted to the throttle body portion of the intake with 2 bolts with the connector disconnected the engine should be idling at a very low rpm between 500- 600 rpm if it dies restart it by holding down the gas peddle a little and slowly bring it back to idle the engine should remain running at the low idle speed it may need the throttle stop screw adjusted to get it within the 500 - 600 rpm range if the idle is to high or to low, then reconnect idle air bypass connector and shut off engine and disconnect battery for atleast 10 minutes to clear the ecms previous idle strategy so it can relearn the idle speed when the vehicle is started up.

Old 08-26-05, 06:49 PM
foxkr
Visiting Guest
Question

Have done these things so far. Cleaned air bypass sensor, throttle plates, replaced gas filter, fuel pressure sensor, and fuel pressure regulator. Still stalling. Know is even idling up and down at stop light while in gear. Probally going to change fuel pumps next. If you all have any other suggestions feel free to add. Kevin

Old 08-28-05, 09:43 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if you havent done the other things mentioned in my post suggest you try it befor replacing anymore parts.
not sure what sensor you replaced that you refer to as a fuel pressure sensor as there is no sensor that monitors fuel pressure on your f150.

Old 08-29-05, 04:08 AM
foxkr
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks for your replies. Truck is fixed. Replaced parts to get rid of computer codes. Was still acting up, but no codes. Replaced map sensor and all is good. Thanks again, Kevin

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: