Question about leaks?

Old 08-12-05, 04:09 PM
mrsmaniac
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Question about leaks?

Hey - I just bought a 1976 Tradesman 300 Conversion Van. Stupid me- I know nothing about the water and sewer lines to this thing! I can plumb a house, wire electric, but this is a whole new game for me. Nothing hooks up water wise to the port a potty. When I filled the water for the sink, water leaked everywhere inside and out. No, I didn't use a high pressure line, as it was a pump handle that trickled the water in. I drained the tank. The water hoses on this are black, white, gray, and a nitemare--any suggestions? Besides, maybe a bomb?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-05, 09:36 PM
sounds like someone has already been in there swapping out tubeing. The most common cause of leaks is loose fittings, frozen plumbing, dammaged or old seals. So loose fittings is easy to check. Dammaged or old dried out seals is just about as easy. take a good look at the seals if they are cracked or crushed the are junk. getting new ones could be a challenge depending on the fittings. Your best bet is to pick up an assortment from your local hardware store and see what size fits. You are likely to have a couple sizes if someone has been swapping stuff out. Not all of the fittings out there use rubber seals though so you will have to look at them carefully. Freeze dammage can be hard to spot. Small cracks you cant see all the way to large canyons in your plumbing. Your fresh and drain plumbing are really very much like at home, just different materials. The real difference comes in the holding tanks. Your drain plumbing will run to a spot above the tank and go down into it. Here you really need to look as much as possible over carefully on the tanks with a flashlight or something. any cracks and you are looking at options, none of which are too all that compelling. Have a look at how they are supported. Make sure that the hardware supporting them is in decient shape. And the fastners are not stripped out. Then flooding the tank to check for leaks. They can crack at the top and this is hard to spot.
As long as the system wasn't frozen you should be in decient shape. You can try to make yourself a adapter to hook up compressed air to your fresh system to find leaks. Just make sure to not pressurize your system past 45psi. You can literally blow the system with higher pressure. Then with air to the system use soapy water to find leaks. Some you may locate the general area by sound and zero in with soapy water. others may require lots of spraying. If your adapter includes a pressure guage you can leak check the system with that. just shut off the supply, check the reading and wait like 30 minutes. a drop indicates a leak. It is important to wait a good while as air compresses where water does not. it will take a large fast leak to show up on a air type leak test in just a minute or two.
in your shoes I would first check for loose fittings on the supply side, and bad seals or loose fittings on the drain side (drain baskets, "P" traps, ect) then check the system again. And move on from there.