ON Board air Part Needed

Old 08-14-05, 01:39 PM
ON Board air Part Needed

I have an onboard air system. I have nicely sized compressor. However there may be some times when a hookup to another air compressor to fill the tank up quicker. I saw a tank at walmart that had such a fitting to allow what normally would be part of the tire to fill up the tank.

I am having a hard time finding this piece becuase I do not know what to call it. Can anybody help give me a term?

Thanks In Advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-05, 02:26 PM
jeffstevens
Visiting Guest
schrader valve.

Old 08-15-05, 05:59 AM
schrader valve is corect you should be able to pick one up at a tire shop that handles heavy truck tires this way you can get a steal one also you can get one from snap-on tools thay would probly be able to get you one that wll hook up to lines and fittings

Old 08-15-05, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator
power453,

You need to make sure that the "on board" air system operates at 100 psi or higher before doing this.
I have seen air pumps on campers that only operate at 40 psi and are used to pressurize a water system.

I would hate to see someone get hurt or your camper damaged.

Old 08-15-05, 07:31 AM
Thankyou

Thanks for the Information everybody. Just to let you know this system is capable of handling over 200 psi. Although currently I only run it around 100 psi or lower.

For safety I have blow out valves all adjusted to 125 psi. There is a pressure switch which controls the compressor.

By the way I built the tank out of schedule 40 4" pvc pipe. This stuff works nicely as long as you can get the leaks stopped. This first system has been in use for over a year already. The first tank was made with about 10 feet of the stuff and I coiled it up inside the cab using 180 degree elbows. This worked ok except it took up lots of space and the compressor was very loud.

Version two of the project will be a little bit bigger. I plan to mount the pvc underneath the truck on the under side body mount points outside the frame rail. I believe 4 pieces, 2 on each side should fit easily. There are even some nice pre drilled holes there already for mounting. So 4 10' pieces all interconncected should give lots more air volume. The compressor will find its new home mounted in a box underneath the tool box. Of course I will cool it with a fan or two.

These are my thoughts on the project. If anybody has any comments or suggestion I would love to here them.

Old 08-15-05, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
power453,

Well, it is unfortunate but I am afraid that PVC is not a material that is good to use for compresed air.
Even though the material you selected has a pressure rating that is higher than what you will be using it at, there is a very high danger of fragmentation should any part of it fail.
I misplace my links on this but if you do a search you will find that it is forbiden by labor codes to use PVC for air unless it is completely encased in a protective shield.
Plus, being installed on a vehicle it is much more subject to damage than even a stationary installation.
All it would take is a bruise from a flying stone to weaken the material to a critical stage.

I would hate to see someone hurt by this.