Location of new parts

Old 08-22-05, 08:52 AM
dorinda57
Visiting Guest
Question Location of new parts

I just bought a 1986 Chevy CD 20 ,3/4 ton PU with 350 5.7 liter 4bbl. I noticed the temperature gauge isn't working, so I bought two repair manuels. Neither one show the location of the coolant temp sensor, or the water temp sensor. Could some one please tell me where the location of these are. I really dont want to buy another repair guide.

Thank you
dorinda47

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-05, 02:58 AM
the sensor for the guage is right between number 1 and 3 sparkplugs on the driver side should be a single wire sensor and it may just be unhooked. that is likely the only coolant sensor on the vehicle as it probably is not computer controlled if it has a carb.
you can test the guage by grounding the wire and turning the key on guage should move to other side when the wire is grounded.

Old 08-23-05, 12:30 PM
You should be able to get a used factory repair manual from ebay dirt cheap.

Old 08-23-05, 06:17 PM
dorinda57
Visiting Guest
Smile Thank you

Thank you, both for the information. I'll should have the sensor in by tonight, when I went to the parts store they sold me a coolant sensor and a water temp sensor. The one im putting in is the coolant sensor right ? Why would they sell me the other one, if I did do not have one on my Truck. I did ask and they said I should replace the other also. I did tell them make and model etc,guess Ill just return it. I hoping to find a complete book on repairs for my Truck with complete,diagrams and locations for all parts. Once again thanks.

Keep on Truckin
D57

Old 08-24-05, 02:34 AM
many 86 models was fuel injected which is why they may have sold you the other sensor not knowing which one you needed, as they can both be called sensors just return the 2 wire sensor.