How big a trailer?

Old 10-26-05, 06:03 AM
PieintheSky
Visiting Guest
How big a trailer?

I have a 2003 Didge Durango, getting the tow hitch installed soon, but now wondering just how big a trailer I can haul?

I'm looking at a 23' one right now (Neighbor wants to get rid of it as they have 2 others) but would hate to buy it and find my rig is under powered.

V8 magnum engine is the pulling power plant

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-05, 05:33 AM
suggest you follow the manufacturers recomendation for gross vehicle weight ratings and choose a trailer and hitch that will keep you within those specifications when the trailer is loaded these specifications is used for what the vehicle can safely tow based on the vehicles brakes, suspension, etc. you shouldnt be underpowered if you stay within those specifcations.

Old 10-27-05, 05:36 AM
timst
Visiting Guest
That Depends on....

Your engine size, transmission(does it have a cooler), what class of hitch, your gear ratio, and the load range of your tires. You can get this info from your owners manual, or local Dodge dealer can help you out.

Old 10-27-05, 07:36 PM
eparsons
Visiting Guest
Dakota experience

I had a Dakota with the 318, 4wd, trailer package of factory hitch, wiring, and cooling. Bought a 30' within the rated weight, etc. First trip went fine. Second trip further down the highway left me a wreck. Front end seemed very light as though the wheels were floating. Probably could have kept the Dakota, but decided to play it safe and upgrade with the Ram with the big 8.

Bottom line, I personally would suggest some "fudge" on the numbers. Be safer than sorry. What should be done, and what the manufactures say "can" be done can surprize you.

Either way, no regrets on the trailer.

Old 11-15-05, 08:14 PM
Tbone5262001
Visiting Guest
Cool buy a trailer and then get the truck to handle the load!!! Dam I should do that