91 Trooper serpentine belt

Old 01-06-06, 06:55 PM
91 Trooper serpentine belt

i replaced the serpentine belt on my 91 trooper following the diagram found on the underneath side of the hood. now the belt is shredding from the front to the rear and is nearly half gone. this happened in a matter of about 20 miles of intown driving. any suggestions of what to look for?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-06, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Likely you have one or more bad pulleys or a bad accessory such as the alternator, ac compressor, or power steering pump.

Remove the belt and check all of the pulleys and accessories individually. Pay particular attention to the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley (looks like the tensioner, but sits in a fixed location) as they are the most likely candidates. The pulleys should turn freely and smoothly with no noise. Also look at them from the side to ensure they are aligned. Assuming you have the belt properly routed you're probably going to find either the tensioner or idler pulley has a bad bearing. Unless you know when they were replaced last, it's a good preventive measure to replace them at any rate.

Old 01-08-06, 07:43 PM
thanks for the advice. i will give those a try