Total labor cost for Ford 5.4l engine replacement

Old 01-11-06, 11:06 AM
Total labor cost for Ford 5.4l engine replacement

I have had the misfortune of having my '99 F150, 4X4, Lariat with a 5.4l, VIN "L" engine vandalized by way of having a substantial quantity of liquor (Jim Beam, I believe) poured into the gas tank and subsequently causing extensive damage to the fuel system as well as the internals ultimately seizing the engine tight. Upon disassembly by my preferred auto shop, I, as well as the owner and mechanics of the shop, couldn't believe the amount of engine damage. Needless to say, the engine needs to be replaced. How many labor hours would be needed to do such a repair, start to finish assuming a used, complete, junk-yard engine is being installed as the replacement? Bear in mind the need to clean (remove) any remaining "fuel" left in the system (tank, lines, rails, pump(s), intake, throttle body, etc.) and the fact that the liquor infiltrated the engine oil system as well.

Last edited by puey61; 01-11-06 at 11:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-06, 01:17 PM
complete assembly without having to transfer any parts at all calls for 10 hr start adding time if parts need to be swaped if useing a junk yard motor i would for sure change plugs and maintenance items at this time maybe even the water pump depending on milage as for the fuel system flushing i would go straight time depending on how long flushing and cleaning of tank takes fuel pump alone calls for 2.5 hr so that plus dumping and cleaning if useing a used motor you will not have to worry about rail throtalbody injectors and such just filter lines tank and pump i would guess at least minimum 4.5 hr alltogether if you go rebuilt than have injectors and related items checked and tested before assmbly good luck with it and at the end i would buy a locking gas cap and keep the jim bean in the glass....

Old 01-11-06, 01:59 PM
I don't know if it's true, but, I was told that a locking cap is not possible due to it fouling up the emissions system and therefore won't work. I live in New York State and the new emissions standards are tough.

Old 01-12-06, 06:46 AM
i have never herad of any problems withthe e test but if it may just kee the original one in the glove box and at e test time do a swap so thay can test it after test put it back thay here any way test the cap than do the dyno run so it shouldent be a problem i see lots of locking caps and have not had any complaints