Payload question

Old 03-07-06, 12:41 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Payload question

Hello again all. Question for my RV and safty issues. I was considering mounting a motorcycle carrier on the rear bumper or back of my 1980 Winnebago Minnie Winnie. She has 56k miles, little rust on frame, and the rear axle looks great along with new tires. My conserns are overloading her.

In my figures, I gave the motorcycle 800lb, the carrier 50lb (maid myself) two humans @ 400lbs, tanks @ 800lb, and others @ 250lb. My total ESTIMATED payload weight is around 2300lb loaded (with motorcycle mounted on back)

I'm doing my best to figure axle distrabution blah blah, and what have you. Now, the specs I have give these figures: GVWR @10,500lb - dry weight @ 7800lb - wet @ 9200lb. Hitch load @ 200lb - axle ratio 4:10 - engine 360cu in - no figures for the GAWR on either front or rear axles. Blk, Gry, fuel tanks hang beyond the rear axle. (est wt combined 800 full / 450 dry) - Wtr, LP are infront of rear axle.(est wt combined 500 full) There is about 5ft of housing beyond rear axle. (? as to wt)

The bike would sit about 2ft off the ground attached to the bumper / chassie frame. I figured this would be better that towing for many reasons. I expect a weight of 850lb on the far rear end. Of course issues with stearing, stopping comes to mind.

The reason why I'm asking this question. I need some advice on this move. Would it be safe to travel with this load? Can this engine handle this payload with ease? What about the transmission? Can someone please, please check my math! Any experiences with carrying or towing in this manner? Emailing me is fine: xxxxxxxxx
Thanks all and happy safe RVing this year

Jasper
Ct

Last edited by GregH; 03-07-06 at 04:58 AM. Reason: mail address removed. Not permitted within posts.
Old 03-07-06, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
Hello Freidor,

The numbers you need to be concerned with are the GVWR capacity at 10,500 lbs and the wet weight of 9200 lbs.
This means you can safely add 1300 lbs if it is properly distributed.
The wet weight takes into account all the equipment the vehicle came equiped with when new.
This should include a full propane, water and fuel tank.
Within the 1300 lbs you would include the occupants, clothing, food and any toys you might bring.

I would have to say that your motorcycle would likely be too much.
In addition to its weight, where it is mounted could overload the rear end because of its position.
To be able to properly determine the trucks balance you will need to find out what the rear and front axle capacity is. There is often a coach mfr's tag that will give you weight information but there should also be a vehicle capacity tag. If not the s/n or build tag might be of help.
Another thing you might want to check is if he tires that are on the truck are rated for the weight you will be carrying.
It could happen that a previous owner did not replace the tires with the correct weight range. Under rated tires can cause problems.

The proper way to check your running weight is at a highway weigh scale.
Highway inspectors are very helpfull and if you tell them what you want to do when you visit the scale I am sure they will go out of your way to help you.

Old 03-07-06, 09:11 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What kind of bike is it?

Very few bikes short of a fully dressed cruiser (or a goldwing) will tip the scales at 800 lbs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: