Camper coming apart at the Seams!

Old 03-15-06, 12:15 PM
Camper coming apart at the Seams!

I have an OLD Twilight Bungalow Camper and it apparently had a leak in the roof in the rear of the camper. The water traveled down the backside and leaked into the back compartment which caused it to rot out while we had it parked for the winter. I pulled it to the beach a few weeks ago and the seam came loose on both sides at the bottom at the rear bumper of the trailer.

How do I repair this? It didn't affect the bathroom or back closet floor... just the outside compartment and the side seams.

I've repaired the roof seam that was split and leaking, but don't know how to go about fixing the rear and the seams.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-06, 07:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums

I'm not very familiar with RVs. I believe they are pretty much framed up with wood. If that is the case you may have rotten wood that needs replacing. Once you have something solid to attach it to I would think you could just screw it back together. Be sure to silicone any areas that might leak.

hope this helps

Old 03-19-06, 06:27 AM
As marksr stated, you probably have some rotten wood in there, and removing the rear panels will be necessary to repair it. Hopefully they are aluminum, and not laminated filon or fiberglass. Marksr also admitted to the fact that he is not too experienced with RV's, and I hate to do it, but I will correct him on one issue, so that all RV'ers know. Using silicone to seal anything on your trailer or Motorhome, is one of the things dealerships (including the one I work at ) love to see, because it insures us that you will be back soon for extensive repairs. I have been at it for 11 yrs now, and everytime I have the opportunity to warn an owner about silicone, I do. (bad for business, but good for my personal reputation) Only as a temporary fix, in an emergency situation. Regular silicone does not have enough adhesive properties, to seal & hold properly for any substantial amount of time. In a very short time, water will start to creep under it, and your back where you started from, but thinking it's taken care of because the silicone is still there. There are different sealants recommended for different materials, such as fiberglass, rubber roof, aluminum roof, aluminum sides etc. If you have an RV dealer near you, check with them and explain what your doing. If not, hardware stores, home depots etc, have caulking designed for outdoor use, and different types of material. The sika-flex line of sealants is good too. Hope this helps, and again Marksr, I hope the correction wasn't taken as me knowing all. After 11 yrs, I'm still seeing new things everyday too.

Old 03-19-06, 08:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Mike.B
Marksr also admitted to the fact that he is not too experienced with RV's, and I hate to do it, but I will correct him on one issue, so that all RV'ers know. Using silicone to seal anything on your trailer or Motorhome, is one of the things dealerships (including the one I work at ) love to see, because it insures us that you will be back soon for extensive repairs. .Marksr, I hope the correction wasn't taken as me knowing all. After 11 yrs, I'm still seeing new things everyday too.

No offense taken. I thought G.E. silicone would stick to any clean surface but it is always best to go with a pros advice when you lack the knowledge yourself. Thanks for the corrected info.

Old 03-20-06, 06:37 AM
Thank you so much for your replies! Yes, the trailer is aluminum and yes, it's obvious there is rotten wood under there. I guess the challenge now is to get up the courage to take it apart! But I love this old camper and I don't want it to just fall to pieces!

I'll keep that in mind about the sealant and look for the one's you described!

How would I go about finding the building plans for this camper so I'll know where the support beams were originally? It's so old it probably doesn't exist any more!

Old 03-20-06, 02:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would think that once you opened it up you would be able to determine what was used where. Even though the wood is rotten you should be able to tell what size and where it was attached.

Old 03-21-06, 06:19 AM
I'm sure you're right... I guess I'm just scared I'll peel the metal back and it'll fall all to pieces! haha

Thank you so much for your help!

Old 04-10-06, 09:49 AM
I just bought a class C motorhome with the front bunk over the cab rotten out. (I didn't see that before I bought it.)

Has anyone replaced the bottom plywood in there? How big a deal is that?

Billy