horn won't work

Old 04-17-06, 04:47 PM
wwc
Question horn won't work

I have a chrome trumphet type sparton 12 volt horn (maybe 36 not sure ), I tried testing it by touching a 12 volt lead to it and grounding the horn.
All i heard is a "ting" metalic sound.
I have removed the back portion and it is all sealed up, and no diaphram in site.
Am i testing this correctly ?

Last edited by wwc; 04-17-06 at 05:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-06, 03:49 AM
sounds like you are testing it correctly if it is just one terminal if two terminal it will need one terminal grounded and the other to power, if one terminal the body of the horn should be grounded and power applied to the one terminal.
sounds like a bad horn.

Old 04-18-06, 09:10 AM
wwc
Unhappy

I wasn't sure, i read somewhere that it had to be run through a relay.
I tried yesterday to clip a wire to the one connector on the horn and the other to the hot lead that goes to my car horn and grounded the horn with another wire and nothing happened.

I'm sure either if this is a 12 volt or a 36 volt horn, I wonder if that would matter, would 12 volts atleast be a weak sound?

Old 04-20-06, 03:51 AM
What makes you think it is a 36VDC system operating your horns?
Without knowing your vehicle, I doubt very much that it is 36VDC, but 12VDC. Have you tried jumper wires, and reversing polarity?
Be sure you have a good ground source. Disconnect other power source if you can. I've used a 12VDC battery from a cordless power tool to test this type of problem with success, and it's easy to carry around. One of the biggest problems with these horns is that they usually point right into the direction of all the nice weather you drive through, which eventually takes it's toll on electrical components. It sounds like a new one(s) are in order but test it thoroughly before you decide to replace. If you test your new one the same way before mounting, you'll get your answer for sure.

Old 04-20-06, 11:20 AM
wwc
Unhappy

I am not sure what volt it is, it was used on a semi truck and i found a few similar on the web of this brand and they were 36 volt.

I didn't try reversing the connections on it,hmmm.

The rear portion of this horn is sealed from the weather that comes down the throat of the bugle, the rear portion is sealed where all the electrics are.

I even tried hooking it up to my battery charger connections to feed it some power no change just a metalic "ting".

Old 04-20-06, 07:09 PM
sparton

stop what you have is a sparton horn used in old packards and they were a 6 volt system you might have fried it already.Sparton horns are from the 30s

Old 04-20-06, 07:45 PM
wwc
Unhappy

well could be fried then, bummer !

The guy i got it from tried hooking it up to a 12 volt source too so it was probably fried when i got it.

I wonder where i can get replacement parts, i can't seem to find anything on the web.
it might not be worth the money to fix it and just buy something else.

is this thing worth anything to a packard guy?

Old 04-21-06, 02:01 AM
not much

Not worth to much do an EBay search and check it out.I got mine at a yard sale for a few bucks but the diaphrams were shot.

Old 04-21-06, 04:19 PM
wwc
Thats what i was wondering too, is wheer can i get the sealed diaphram end for this thing.
may be too expensive to fix.

Old 04-21-06, 04:27 PM
If you can get it open

If you can get it open and find a diaphram that is wasted as mine was you will have to find a replacment material that would work.
I have not my horn is still apart as I have lost intrest in it for now .
If you can get it apart try a thin sheet of plastic for a diaphram using the old one for a template.It has to be a hard plastic not like saran wrap.
Or do like I did toss it in a box get a beer and worry about it later.

Old 04-21-06, 04:54 PM
wwc
Thats what i thought i could do about reaplcing the diaphram, but this horn has a steel rear section that bolts onto the trumphet and the rear section is totally welded shut and sealed.
A guy must have to buy a complete rear section to repair it, as far as i can figure.