RV and GFI's

Old 04-29-06, 11:11 AM
RV and GFI's

I have fairly new Rookwood 32' 5th wheel trailer. I park it in my back yard and whenever I try to plug it into a GFI receptacle I always have trouble with it tripping out. If I run it in the house and plug it into a regular receptacle, it seems to work fine. I understand the GFI works off the principle that the current in the "hot" and "ground" wires must be balanced...and if they get out of balance by a "small" amount the GFI will trip. I'm using a 50' extension cord. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-06, 11:54 AM
How heavy of an extension cord are you using? What all do you have turned on in unit when you plug it in? I take it that it is your house GFI that is tripping? Are both circuits you tried, 15 amp breakers? Have you done a polarity test in your trailer, when your plugged in and up and running, at your trailer receptacles? Sometimes a weak/faulty, GFI will cause that too.
Sometimes they trip at a lower amperage than what they are designed for, when they get old & worn. Running a 50ft extension cord, that's not heavy enough, will also cause a higher amperage situation. Is your extension cord homemade, or store bought? (in case polarity on extension is incorrect)
Hope that helps some.

Old 05-03-06, 07:33 PM
The only load was just a couple of overhead lights. The extension cord I'm using is a store bought one with 12ga conducters. Now, sometimes it would trip with nothing turned on. It was quite erratic...sometimes the GFI would trip the instant I plugged it in...at other times it would take several minutes to trip.

Old 05-04-06, 04:28 AM
Your fridge, hot water heater, (hydro side) A/C, etc is all off for sure?
Your converter will draw some juice too, but it shouldn't be so much that it trips a good GFI. Does your extension cord feel warm/hot at one or both ends, after it's been plugged in for a while, or does it trip right away? Doing an amp draw test would help, and I doubt you have such a meter available, so here's the plan. Go inside trailer & trip your GFI inside trailer, and see if that cures the problem of tripping at the house GFI. If not, try this next.
Shut off all your hydro breakers in the trailer, and then plug it in.
Turn breakers on, one at a time, and give it a few minutes each time, to trip. When you turn one more on, and it trips the GFI, then at least you've narrowed it down to what circuit is causing the problem, then report back.
Also, if you plug in to other receptacle, and extension cord doesn't get too warm, then I would lean toward a faulty or weak GFI at house. One other thing just came to mind also, check that your connections at battery compartment, for batteries, are not touching metal in compartment. (+) side.

Old 05-04-06, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Jack B.
I understand the GFI works off the principle that the current in the "hot" and "ground" wires must be balanced...and if they get out of balance by a "small" amount the GFI will trip.
Actually its imbalance between HOT and NEUTRAL.