Engine on MTR Home will not start

Old 05-01-06, 03:18 PM
D
Dar
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Engine on MTR Home will not start

I went ouy to start my MTR Home and the battery was dead. I replaced the battery and still nothing. when I try to start the engine. Not even a click. The lights all come on now.
It is a 1987 P-30 .
Could there be a fuse or selenoid somewhere or maybe a bad ignition switch?
I just don't know where to start looking? Also I noticed the power step will not come out?
Thanks; Dar

Last edited by Dar; 05-01-06 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-02-06, 06:54 AM
B
RV check-out.

I would concentrate on good battery cables, a good engine ground connection, good battery clamps. You need a helper to listen for the solenoid click that mounts on the starter when trying to start. Your lights coming on may be from the other battery ,but if you mean headlights the main engine ground could still be at fault. How's the horn,the radio?. Check to see if 12v is getting to solenoid on starter when key is trying for the start.This can be done with the icepick type tester glow-bulb and ground wire bought from a auto store. Try jumper cables from another vehicle but i'm putting my money on bad battery cables,or a weak battery. bernie

Old 05-02-06, 07:27 AM
R
Dar,

I tried to send you a response but it got lost is cyberspace???

I'll try again.

Don't rule out that the starter motor may be bad. (probably not, it can be removed and bench tested.

1. You must find the solenoid, but first.

2 The starter circuit is separate from all other circuits.

3. Check both battery cables where they are connected to the battery. They must be shiney clean! (They can fool you.)

4. The negative battery cable connects to the frame (ground), it is probably ok since the vehicle started before.

5. The positive cable will lead you to the solenoid.

a. Make sure the connection to the solenoid is tight and clean.

b. There may be a cable from the solenoid to the starter motor. Check connections. (Old mechanics trick, -- try taping the starter moter with a large hammer)

c. You probably have an automatic transmission. All transmissions are equiped with a lock out switch that prevents the vehicle from being started when in gear. The solenoid has other wires connected to it. These wires are activated by the ignition switch as it routes electricity from the battery to the solenoid to activate the solenoid and thus connect the battery to the starter motor. (old mechanics trick, by pass the ignition switch and manually activate the solenoid by taking off the connections to the solenoid and using a jumper wire to connect (touch the terminal on the solenoid that activates it). If a "jumper wire from the positive side of the battery to the solenoid does not activate the solenoid, remove the solenoid and bench test it or take it to someone who can bench test it for you. I would probably just buy a new one.
d. If the solenoid works then the problem is in the wiring, ignition switch, transmission lock out switch, the starter itself

Old 05-02-06, 03:39 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I agree with cleaning up and re tightening the terminals - on both ends. Since the lights come on (low amperage) and the starter doesn't (high amperage). I would check, clean, and tighten the terminals first.

Old 05-02-06, 07:41 PM
D
Dar
Mtr home no start

Thanks!! RV Dave & GoldStar.
I will Look into all the options you mentioned. IU do appreciate the help!
Thanks; again!
Dar

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: