E4OD Trans

Old 07-01-06, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
E4OD Trans

'93 Ford F150-XLT, RWD, 4sp(OD) auto trans, 6cyl.
Got transmission E4OD from salvage yard.
Unit 6" - 8" (approx) too short, does not sit in mounts correctly, overall length too short for drive line to couple at rear end.
Old transmission no longer available. (seperate discussion altogether)
I cannot find any references to "models" of E4OD, so assumed all same.
I do know there was a non electronic made, but this has the electronic shift with overdrive (OD on/off button is on end of shifter stick).
What did I miss?
Thanks,
Sarge

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-06, 07:52 PM
E4od

OK, let me try this way-
Does anyone know If there only one Ford E4od transmission, a fit-all, or does it come in different sizes or whatever for the Ford trucks?
I have spent more than an hour on line, trying to find something on this transmission.
Sarge
Sarge

Old 07-04-06, 08:23 PM
there are many configurations depending on make and model what was origenaly in it because i have replaced and had rebuilt meny trannys from 1993 in the last few years their not that hard to find

Old 07-05-06, 08:55 AM
E4od Trans

Thanks for reply,
You confirmed what I suspected.
Would you know how I can identify one that will fit my truck?
I talked with a Ford dealer parts dept. He has a limited vocabulary consisting of "part number," and "don't know, not on computer."
Thanks,
Sarge

Old 07-10-06, 01:56 PM
where is the original the best would be to bring it to dealer rebuilder or wrecker to id or match up

Old 12-27-09, 07:37 AM
Slowryder

First of all, All E4OD Transmissions are all Electronic Controled. They do not make a Non Electronic E4OD You mentioned your truck to be a 6 cyl. The 6 Cyl E4OD Bell Pattern and size is Different then the V-8 E4OD Bell and Pattern Size. You can tell the difference between a 2WD and a 4WD E4OD by looking at the rear of the Trans. If theres a tailhousing bolted to the trans about 15" long which tapers down in size with a oil seal the size of the Yoke on your drive line Thats a 2WD . If whats bolted to the trans body is short approx7" long which is open in the rear, no oil seal with the rear shaft of the trans sticking out all by itself That is a 4WD unit and the Transfercase would bolt against the rear of that short approx 7" adaptor we just mentioned. You will also have to have some idea of the maneul shift lever as there are numerous designs some point up others down ect. Your not in the clear yet because you will also need to know on the passenger side of the trans where the main harness conects to the trans There 2 different sizes of that connecter. If you were looking for a 2WD unit you would also have to be concerned with the speedometer tooth count. On a 4WD the speed-o reads off the rear diff so no concern there

Old 12-27-09, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Slowryder..
Thanks for your reply...and welcome to the Forums...but the thread was last active 3 1/2 yrs ago. Happens all the time to new members and quite often to old timers.

Again...welcome.