1982 Dodge D150 stalling

Old 07-14-06, 12:17 PM
1982 Dodge D150 stalling

Hey, I own a 1982 dode d150 5.2l v8 automatic thats constantly stalling. It takes a long time to start and once i do get it running i have to be very careful when driving because if i press on the accelerator it will stall instantly, theres also hardly any acceleration, i cant get it past 50km an hour and when im driving it will stall unexpectadly, i recently just started driving it after being parked for 2 years and i thought it could be carbon build up or something with the carburetor but if you could offer some insite that would be great, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-06, 04:25 PM
if it sat for a while than i would start with new fuel filter fresh fuel new spark plugs and than some carb cleaner

Old 07-16-06, 08:48 PM
thanks ill try that and let you know. i just recently took it out on the highway and blew all the carbon out, it runs fine once its going but after awhile it starts backfiring alot and your speed decreases quite alot, then after letting off the gas its fine and you can continue on, it did that 5 or 6 times almost 1 after the other.

Old 07-17-06, 04:24 PM
You could have sediment or varnish built up in the carburetor. Holding the floats down or the needle is sticking, so on.... The only thing thats going to fix that is either rebuild or replace the carb. Not too many places (shops) rebuild carbs anymore. You could attempt it yourself. Thats not really a bad carb to do.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 07-17-06, 06:32 PM
ok, thanks.

Old 07-26-06, 09:05 PM
hey, thanks for everyone who helped me with the problem, for those who may experience the same, one of the problems was when i took it to Midas for a tune up they installed the distrubutor rotor, or something with a similair name wrong, so it was stalling because of that, and they installed the spark plugs wrong, but before i found that out i replaced the carburetor and afterwords they told me about it, so i cant be too sure whether it was the carburetor or not, but those might be some things too check for for people experiencing the same things, 1. carburetor, 2. distributor rotor, 3. spark plugs, also the fuel filter, not necessarily a cause of stalling but if you replace the carburetor you dont want dirty fuel in your brand new carburetor.