1997 Ford Explorer Heater Problem

Old 07-30-06, 07:26 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question 1997 Ford Explorer Heater Problem

The problem with this system is not being able to adjust the temperature of the heat. The temperature control knob can be on full cold, and you will still get full heat. I do get A/C with the system set on MAX A/C, however, and with it set on NORM A/C, I get heat instead of A/C. The control panel has been replaced, and I have also checked for any vacuum leaks. I was told that possibly the air flow door on the heater box assembly may be broke. Has anyone had this problem with their Explorer? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-06, 01:42 PM
A
Common problem wit these on the side of the heater box passenger side is a electric motor un bolt it and remove you can than test this by moving heat control and you will see it move if not than check for power and grounds while it is out check where the motor hocks in to this is where they break

Old 02-02-08, 06:56 PM
S
Les Englehart

Originally Posted by AutoDoc View Post
Common problem wit these on the side of the heater box passenger side is a electric motor un bolt it and remove you can than test this by moving heat control and you will see it move if not than check for power and grounds while it is out check where the motor hocks in to this is where they break
Are there any "Current" replies to this problem? I am having the same problem this addresses and I cannot find this electric motor on the side of the heater box. Is it inside, under the dash or is it outside in the engine compartment? This only started within the past few weeks. I did, however, hear a "chattering" sound coming from the area of the left side of the glove box when I adjusted the temperature control. Any further suggestions?

Old 02-12-08, 11:57 PM
H
Open the glove box and squeeze the sides to get the door to open more.

Look straight back and you'll see a while box on top of the blower chamber. It should also have a pair of wires going to the motor. Remove the motor by prying with a small screwdriver and be careful not to break any tabs or the shaft going down into the chamber. It's going to be a tight fit on the hands. Reconnect the plug to the motor and check if it's working by turning the temp knob. If it isn't, go to a junk yard and replace it. If it does work, the shaft nub connecting the mix door to the motor is broken. If you're lucky, epoxy it back together if you can pull all the pieces together. Last resort, remove the whole dash and change the blower door. There was defective abs plastic used in the 1995+ models.

I short cutted the above and cut a hole under the mixing door and pulled the broken part out. I fixed the bottom with JB weld. Unorthodox but you can see the repair unless you're looking upside down in the passenger foot well.

For more info check out and search on explorerforum.com. I used to be on there quite regularly and it's a wealth on info.

H

Originally Posted by Safari View Post
Are there any "Current" replies to this problem? I am having the same problem this addresses and I cannot find this electric motor on the side of the heater box. Is it inside, under the dash or is it outside in the engine compartment? This only started within the past few weeks. I did, however, hear a "chattering" sound coming from the area of the left side of the glove box when I adjusted the temperature control. Any further suggestions?

Old 02-13-08, 08:20 PM
T
Check your fuse for the heater control. I had the same problem and it ended up being a blown fuse.

Old 03-15-09, 12:48 PM
M
Originally Posted by harry5150 View Post
Open the glove box and squeeze the sides to get the door to open more.

Look straight back and you'll see a while box on top of the blower chamber. It should also have a pair of wires going to the motor. Remove the motor by prying with a small screwdriver and be careful not to break any tabs or the shaft going down into the chamber. It's going to be a tight fit on the hands. Reconnect the plug to the motor and check if it's working by turning the temp knob. If it isn't, go to a junk yard and replace it. If it does work, the shaft nub connecting the mix door to the motor is broken. If you're lucky, epoxy it back together if you can pull all the pieces together. Last resort, remove the whole dash and change the blower door. There was defective abs plastic used in the 1995+ models.

I short cutted the above and cut a hole under the mixing door and pulled the broken part out. I fixed the bottom with JB weld. Unorthodox but you can see the repair unless you're looking upside down in the passenger foot well.

For more info check out and search on explorerforum.com. I used to be on there quite regularly and it's a wealth on info.

H
harry5150,

I need to get the door out on my 1997: where exactly did you cut? Have any photos? It appears that there is a round boss that may be the lower hinge point. Cut outboard and forward from there? Any suggestions for the best tool for tthe job?