1993 Ford Ranger 2.3 starting problem

Old 08-08-06, 03:31 PM

Hello, I have some problems with the ranger not starting sometimes... The battery is good (have changed). Sometimes when you turn the ignition switch the bell comes on and things work inside and sometimes when you turn the switch nothing is on or happens.... Then even when the bells ding and the lights come on and i turn the key to start everything goes dead... and the battery is good. OR SOMETIMES IT STARTS BUT NOT OFTEN..... If this is vague let me know and i will give more info ...... I appreciate any trouble shooting ideas you have for me to try..

P.s. the ignition switch was replaced 3 months ago because it would not turn anymore and wore out... ....

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-06, 11:09 AM
try cleaning conections on the starter
also when you say " the ignition switch was replaced 3 months ago because it would not turn anymore and wore out... "
was it the switch or the key cylinder?
because some of the fords had a problem with the switches and wiring to them if it was just the cylinder i would take a look at the switch lower on the ledt side of columb

Old 08-09-06, 02:43 PM
Thanks a bunch, I will try that this evening and report back. sure hope

Old 08-22-06, 12:13 PM

I had a similar problem last year. Does it somtimes sound the the bell has a "twang" sound, if so clean the battery posts and connectors. This was the issue with mine. During very very hot days i could not start the turck due to corrosion (the posts turned black, and the insides of the connectors did also). Hope this is helpful.

CajunReaper

Old 08-24-06, 05:31 AM
Thanks a bunch, that was friend of mines truck.. he took it to the shop and they fixed it. I think it was the connections cause the didnt charge him....