Leaky travel trailer

Old 09-17-06, 12:17 PM
Leaky travel trailer

We bought a 1970 FAN travel trailer on ebay and we were told that it did not leak....first rain and that was proved wrong. Anyway. It has gotten very wet in the one area and as we explore we find more and more old areas where it had been wet and molded and is dry, black mold and brittle and falling apart/swollen.

My question is, after we fix the leaking areas, do we need to remove all the dry molded areas and all the wet areas or can one cover them after all is dry? What is the best way to dry them out behind the old panelling? Do we need to take the cabinets and everything out and redo the walls (most of the old leaks are in cabinet areas,the really leaky one is on the ceiling by the bunk). They also wallpapered all over in it, which is promptly coming loose and we have ripped most of that out.

Any advice would be welcome!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-06, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by MNcountry
We bought a 1970 FAN travel trailer on ebay and we were told that it did not leak....first rain and that was proved wrong. Anyway. It has gotten very wet in the one area and as we explore we find more and more old areas where it had been wet and molded and is dry, black mold and brittle and falling apart/swollen.

My question is, after we fix the leaking areas, do we need to remove all the dry molded areas and all the wet areas or can one cover them after all is dry? What is the best way to dry them out behind the old panelling? Do we need to take the cabinets and everything out and redo the walls (most of the old leaks are in cabinet areas,the really leaky one is on the ceiling by the bunk). They also wallpapered all over in it, which is promptly coming loose and we have ripped most of that out.

Any advice would be welcome!
Hi,

I work for a class a motorhome factory in canada. When we encounter wet units we almost always replace the walls. Any chance of mold behind the cabinets etc is not good. I would suggest repanneling your unit. Sorry but this is the best way. Good luck

Old 10-06-06, 12:33 PM
I posted this a couple of weeks ago to an inquiry concerning rehabing a travel trailer. I believe that It has the story of renovating a Fan, as well as the Silverdome.

Here is where you need to go to read about another man's journey along the route you propose. http://www.jcshop.netfirms.com/Silverdome.htm
It is a very interesting saga and quite informative. Let us know about your progress.