Rear Wheels

Old 09-25-06, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Rear Wheels

I just purchased a '97 29' Fleetwood TT. Lo and behold, I can't get it up into my driveway due to the rise of it. Is it feasible to put a couple of 8" swivel wheels (casters) bolted to the frame at the back? The skids that were back there were pretty "mangled" up, so I cut them off.

Any ideas???????

Dinky

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-06, 08:16 AM
M
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
camper casters

Dinky:

I've seen that done before. The consideration is finding a caster that will take the weight. The loading would be half the weight of the gvw of the trailer split between the two casters. The other would be the mounting height of the caster. They could get in the way if mounted too low.

Depending how much you want to put into it, you could put a simple tag axle with air shocks and small tires behind the back axle. It would have to be positioned to handle the inclines you're referring to. Once again loading would have to be taken into account. I imagine that setup would push close to $1500 to $2000.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 09-28-06, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. The casters are rated for 1100 pounds each. I'm now in the process of redoing my driveway to make the incline alot shallower. I'll go by my local RV place and ask about a "tag axle"

Dinky