93 Ranger complex starting problem

Old 10-01-06, 07:09 PM
Unhappy 93 Ranger complex starting problem

All,

Info: 1993 Ranger (FORD) 2.3L 4cylinder with the dual plug system

I have a very complex problem that probably has an easy solution I'm missing. I was going down the highway the other day and it stalled on me ever since it has had the starting problem.

My Ranger will turn over but will not start. The following things have been fixed or have been checked and are working:
-fuel pump
-fuel relay
-fuel filter
-plugs were changed
-alternator was changed
-battery is good (switched with one that did start a car and still did not work for the ranger)
-took boots off they are sparking both at the distributer and plug
-Took old plug out (before replacing) which had fuel on the end like it was not firing in the chamber at all but it sparked outside the chamber and fire could be seen coming from the hole it should have been in

I am really stumped and about to break down to take to someone with a computer. If anyone has heard of this before I am all ears...

Thank you in advance, Chmical

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-06, 08:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have spark, like you said, and fuel, that leaves a few things left. Air for one, make sure vacuum lines are in good working order, etc. The next thing I would do is a engine compression check. You can buy the kit at Autozone and do it yourself. You want to make sure your cylinders have enough compression to ignite. Not sure of the exact pressure on your vehicle, probably around 100+, but check a chiltons out. If you have fuel on your plugs, then that cylinder(s) are not firing properly. Hopefully it's something simple and not a bad cylinder. Let us know what happens.

Old 10-02-06, 04:44 AM
Thank you for the suggestions I will let you know how it turns out. Could it be a throttle sensor? My thought was had to do with the air content like you stated. I have a Haynes book and mentioned that a bad throttle sensor could inject more fuel thinking that the cylinder was getting more air than it really was. Is it worth trying to find a universal code reader?

Old 10-02-06, 03:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure if a 93 vehicle will have an OBDII reading capability or not, but a local Autozone can see if you got any codes. Alot of things could make a rough start, but start with the easy stuff. Good luck, and let us know what came of it.

Old 10-03-06, 07:26 PM
I had two people today also give me the suggestion of the crankshaft sensor. I am going to check that. I tried the pressure check but was unable to get a good enough seal with the tool from Autozone to get a reading. Going back to the crankshaft sensor, do you have any hints to taking off the camshaft pulley? The book of course makes it sound easy, just four bolts and it comes off, but the pulley moves so what is the trick to taking off the bolts?

Old 10-04-06, 09:18 AM
cmical:

Usually a good jerk on the wrench will break the bolts loose, since they are off the center of the crank by a couple inches. If they are stuck, leave the belt on and pinch the two sides of the belt together while you break them loose. That's usually enough to hold it.

My '87 Ranger with the V6 has the codes, I would think yours would too.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 10-04-06, 08:34 PM
Got another question I got the four bolts off the crank pulley will it come off now? Or do you have to take out the bolt that advances the engine? Another thing for all who are intrested I think that I have the answer to my problem. Timing Belt is loose and semistuck in the bottom of the cover behind the pulley. I can see it on sprocket on the top of the engine (slightly pulling back the cover) so I will guess once the cover is off I will see it has jumped off. The other question I have is that since it is off the sprockets I cannot turn the top one (the sprocket you are supposed to line up using the peep hole to find TDC) so is it possible to line all of the sprockets up by hand to the correct timing?

Thank you both again for all of the help...

Old 10-06-06, 05:01 AM
aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggggg!! How do you get the crank pulley off so that the belt guide can come off and the belt can be reinstalled. So frustrating!

Old 10-06-06, 07:58 AM
if you have spark the crank sensor is good
only thins could be is timming chain or belt or no compresion get a better gage and re check also if you can open oil cap and look inside have someone crank it over see if rockers are moving to remove teh balencer the center bolt must be removed and you need a balencer removing tool same as steering wheel remover

Last edited by AutoDoc; 10-06-06 at 08:13 AM.