Oil Sending unit

Old 10-06-06, 12:22 PM
Oil Sending unit

Where is the oil sending unit on a 1990 Chevy 1/2 truck 350 cu in. engine located and what are the proper step to replace it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-06, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure about that year. Look below the passenger side exhaust manifold, just above the pan. It would be a little dome shaped thingy with a wire attached to the top.

If it's there, just disconnect the wire and unscrew it from the block. There should be a set of wrench shoulders just below the dome part. It used to take a 9/16 or 14 mm wrench to fit it.

Replace it with a little sealer on the threads (high temp silicone form-a-gasket is ok). Don't put any on the first couple threads from the end. That will keep it out of where you don't want it.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 10-06-06, 02:11 PM
I did find it, It is behind the distributor on top of the block. But I can't get to it because the base plate of the distributor is on top of it.

Do I have to remove the distributor or is there another way?

Thanks Benny

Old 10-06-06, 05:29 PM
The threads will have to unscrew about 1/2 to 5/8 inch to clear everything to remove the sender. Do you have that much clearance to the distributor base? If not you'll have to lift the distributor enough to get the clearance.

If you're faced with the latter, remove the distributor cap and mark the position of the rotor relative to the base. Then remove the fixing bolt and clamp at the base of the distributor. Gently lift the distributor just enough to get the clearance you need. Hopefully you won't have to disengage the drive gear.

Take care of the sender, and push the distributor back down flush, align the mark you made for rotor position with the rotor and clamp it back down.

Let us know how it went,

Hope this helps,

Bob