ford ranger keeps guiting.

Old 10-07-06, 02:28 PM
Question ford ranger keeps guiting.

Have a 88 ford ranger v6 standard trans. Truck runs for 3 hours than guits. Cools down for 1 hr than it will run again. Doesn't overheat, just guits running. It does this constantly. Have checked everything but can't find the problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-06, 04:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What exactly have you checked?

Old 10-11-06, 05:44 AM
Check the coil. It almost sounds as if the coil(s) are starting to fail. That's one of the ways they do fail, is once they get hot they'll stop working. Then once they've cooled down again, they'll start working again.

Old 10-12-06, 08:32 AM
Scooby:

You may check the coil feed terminals. On that age of vehicle they could be corroded. It would only take a second to check and clean if necessary.

As Cory said the coil could be starting to fail. They usually act up when hot.

I believe my first choice, though would be the ignition module. It sits under the distributor. They act as you have described. A new one runs about $75.00 for a good one. You can have both the coil and the module checked at a parts store before you invest in replacement parts.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 10-14-06, 05:10 AM
Had similar problems as service manager for a local Ford dealer back in 88-89. Quite often it was the spark module on the side of the distributor. Harness plugs into it, and it is attached with, I think, 1/4" screw heads, if my memory serves me right. The symptoms were what you describe, and as soon as the module cooled down, it would re-fire & go again. 2.3L tempo's & topaz were also plagued with same problem. Clean surface, and apply dielectric lube to surface before installing new one. Dielectric lube should come with new one, if not, small tube is cheap to buy at parts store.

Let us know, Good Luck.

Old 10-14-06, 06:31 AM
Sounds like the ign module, my 88 4 cyl had the same issue, these things get hot and quit, cool down and start. Be sure to use the dielectric grease between the module and dist.

Old 12-13-06, 09:02 AM
Just a thought

Originally Posted by scooby View Post
Have a 88 ford ranger v6 standard trans. Truck runs for 3 hours than guits. Cools down for 1 hr than it will run again. Doesn't overheat, just guits running. It does this constantly. Have checked everything but can't find the problem.
I'm not a mechanic by any means but I had similiar problem with a chevy van.
I used to pour water on the electric fuel pump and it would run again...right away. When I was able I replaced it and never had that problem again. Just a thought.