ck1500

Old 10-09-06, 06:32 PM
Question ck1500

have 1998 ck1500, driver side handle broke. I have a replacement handle. Do i have to remove the inside door panel to replace? If so, what is the easiest way to do it?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-06, 10:21 PM
Door Panel

Just did this a few weeks ago on my 1995. Yes the interior door panel must be removed 1) remove the plastic bezel surrounding the door handle. It snaps off so some prying is required but don't overdo it or it will break. Don't ask me how I know. 2) remove two screws holding arm rest on panel 3) remove small covering opposite mirror - again prying it back carefully as it snaps on and off. 4) using a door panel removal tool or large screwdriver pry the door panel off. You will notice that its held on with some white plastic pins. They usually don't break but if they do replacements are available at your dealer (not expensive) I needed one and it was under $1.00 5) before removing the panel completely away from the door carefully disconnect two wiring harnesses. One is for the window door controls, the other for the courtesy light 6) With the panel removed drill out the one rivet holding the handle to the door with an appropriatly sized drill bit. Once the rivet is out, Slide the handle forward (you'l know what direction when you see the handle and it will slide out. Then detach rods at back of handle.
7) install new handle and reverse proceedure. (new rivet required or small bolt)

Old 10-11-06, 10:22 PM
My assumption was that you were asking about the interior door handle. The exterior handle is held on with clips that are accessed through the door so again the panel must come off. Its tight in there and prepare to be scraped up from the small access hole. A small flexible assistant with skinny arms may come in handy.