1990 chev truck won't turn over

Old 10-24-06, 10:52 AM
1990 chev truck won't turn over

been driving the truck regular every day, went to start it and won't turn over, thinking it was the starter I changed it, still no go, adjusted the neutral safety switch, still no, bypassed the switch with jumpers, still no, can hear the fuel pump, lights all bright, has power to the starter terminal when key is on, dash lights all come on, I'm thinking now its the ignition switch ? have a not so good wiring diagram and can't see any relays between key and starter, need help on this one !

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-06, 10:58 AM
starter

not the best in wiring but I wouldnt rule out your key starter. your neutual is working fine and lights. Just my opion

Old 10-24-06, 02:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
if it was mine i would try and clip on an alligator clip wire to the S terminal on the solenoid and connect it to hot source and see if it cranks over

just to rule out bad solenoid or starter

is there even a click from the solenoid when you turn the key to crank ?

pretty interesting...

hmm

could try calling or going to a local small time battery shop and asking them if they know if that truck has a relay in the starting circuit anywhere they will probably know right off the top of their head if they do or not, the battery shop here is reallyfriendly and i go to them for everything and they dont charge for anything unless it requires labor or parts and even then they are dirt cheap

good luck

Old 10-24-06, 02:45 PM
Well, if you have power at your starter with the key in the start position, thats telling us the starter is fine. I would look at a fuel issue, either a clogged fuel filter, and/or bad pump. I would check the fuel filter first. Also, check all your plugs, wires, distributor cap.

Old 10-24-06, 05:24 PM
I just replaced the ignition switch, still nothing, it does put the dash lights out when the key is put over to the start position as it did before I changed the switch and they come back on when the key is released, wierd, thinking now there's a dead short in the start circuit to the solenoid somewhere, its a brand new starter, ignition switch, fuel filter, fuel pump whirring fine, adjusted and bypassed the neutral safety switch, running out of options here !

Old 10-24-06, 06:32 PM
Heres a hunch: I have a feeling there might be what is called a fuseable link in the starter circuit, these puppies are not easy to find because they look like a normal piece of wire and sometimes they can melt inside without smoking the insulation. Try a library of auto store for a HAYNES or CHILTON bookk for yopur truck.

Old 10-24-06, 07:17 PM
fuseable link very good point i forgot all about that, it would be located at the starter end of the wires, check them see if they are melted inside
try a positive battery source to the S terminal of the solenoid, this would rule out a bad ign switch or melted fuseable link

or just check for 12 volts at the S terminal with the key in crank position, need a helper to help you do that of course

if no volts at the terminal then you will know that you have melted link or bad ign switch most probably/almost positively

good luck

Old 10-25-06, 04:04 PM
well here's what I found out, the first starter was pooched, put a "supplier rebuilt" on, never thought it was bad but turns out it was pooched as well, got another one and had the guy test it first before taking it, all this after changing the ignition switch, took the whole steering shaft out cause it was easier to set up, pulled the wire from the solenoid to the firewall to check it for shorts, had cut it in places to get it out from behind the engine then put it all back together with new wire where required, so don't think rebuilt/new is any better if the problem is still there, thanks for all your help all.