'96 Toyota T-100, Air bag, Engine light on

Old 11-27-06, 07:06 PM
'96 Toyota T-100, Air bag, Engine light on

I picked this up 2 months ago. No rot at all, looks good, but was hit in the left front and was partly repaired. Got it for $1800, put in another $800 to pull and paint the front fender and hood.
Air bag was deployed, so got a used one, but air bag light stays on. Also, my engine light won't go out. I have two questions at the moment.
1. Is the air bag system also connected to the "check engine" system, causing the "check engine" light to stay on?
2. I heard some vehicles don't have a pressurized system. Is my truck one of these?(When I loosen my gas cap, there is no pressure release sound). Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-06, 07:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I take it they replaced the sensors for the deployed airbag? I don't see how the airbags are tied into the engine light. Go to autozone and get the codes read for free. Report back here.

Old 11-27-06, 07:46 PM
I went to autozone already, and the guy said my 0-2 sensors are bad. Can I trust these people?
I don't mind spending the money IF that really will fix the problem with the engine light.
When I got the air bag changed, they did change the two sensors for the air bag. In fact, the wire was cut on one of the sensors from the accident, and the guy repaired that. Do I need the air bag system to get the truck inspected? or can I disconnect the unit legally and still get it inspected? I always use my seat belt, so I feel I don't really need/want the airbag, anyway.

Old 11-27-06, 08:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If they scanned it, and came up with a O2 code, then most likely it is that issue. I remember reading somewhere that O2 sensors do go bad in Toyotas alot. The code will come back something like, "High Bank 2, or Bank 1", something along those lines.

If they repaired your airbag system, it may just need to be reset. Some repair shops can do this if they have the proper programmer. Also, have you tried leaving the battery disconnected for a few hours after installation of the airbag? That may reset it. I know for my Nissan, they can use a Consult II or III tool and figure out what is throwing the airbag light.

Old 11-27-06, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the advice, Mark. I'll check it out.
AL