'96 Toyota T-100 pressurized system?

Old 12-04-06, 07:42 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
'96 Toyota T-100 pressurized system?

I have a '96 toyota T-100 pickup, 4 cylinder, auto, and when I remove my gas cap, I don't hear any pressure release from a vacuum system. (I just bought this recently, and so I don't know if this is normal or not).
I was told by a mechanic that some cars/trucks don't have a vacuum system. I called a Toyota dealer and asked them, and they said I'd have to bring it in to see what's wrong. At 100 bucks an hour, I'm not too crazy about "bringing it in" to see what's wrong. I don't have that kind of money, but I do want to find out if my truck either has or doesn't have a pressurized system. This truck is so rare around here, that I can't find another one like mine to see if they have a pressurized system in theirs, so I can make a decision as to what I have. I saw one heading into the city last week, but didn't want to chase it all thru the city to see where he was going and then ask him, so I am still looking for one that I can compare mine with.
Other than calling other dealers and trying to get them to tell me if I have that system or not, is there any other way I can find out?
Thanks....AL

Old 12-04-06, 08:37 AM
I've got 96 t100 v6 and it is pressurized . I think one way to tell is if the cap has the ratchet mechanism, I always tighten mine until I hear the clicks

maybe you have a after market cap ?

Old 12-04-06, 11:18 AM
A
Mangoman, I thought it could be the cap, so I replaced it a while back, but the one I bought is an aftermarket one, from a department store called "Benny's".
Would an aftermarket one not work as good as an original? The "original" one looks the same as the one I bought, so maybe that was an aftermarket one too? They are both rachet ones. I do make sure I turn the cap a couple times with the ratchet sound. (Still no pressure).
AL

Old 12-04-06, 11:50 AM
well I tried mine and I definatley can hear pressure release

why don't you post this under auto repair

http://forum.doityourself.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

one of the mods there is Toyotaman he might have a better handle on it

Old 12-04-06, 12:10 PM
B
wouldnt really worry about it if you have a problem the check engine light should come on and store a code most all 96 and newer model vehicles do have presserized systems but can purge during engine operation.
you may not hear pressure when removing the cap if its not very warm out but most all have sensors and can detect a leak and will set the check engine light off.

Old 12-04-06, 12:28 PM
A
Hi Bejay,
I also have a "check engine" problem that I posted on another thread. I am hoping to get this problem fixed first, so I can deal with the engine light problem after. I just had an 0-2 sensor replaced, and my engine light came back on again, so maybe the pressure system is my problem?
Thanks....AL

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: