2006 Dodge Ram 1500

Old 12-08-06, 02:03 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry 2005 Dodge Ram 1500

Two questions; I have a 5.7L hemi in my truck: any suggestions on improving gas mileage? The other question is the high beams on this truck are poor. I've taken the truck to the dealer and they have adjusted them twice and still not good enough. I've been told I can't install any high intensity bulbs because of the wiring. What about piaa light? Any suggestions?

Last edited by somenolig; 12-08-06 at 02:26 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 12-08-06, 03:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
1. To save gas mileage - don't buy a Hemi. Only thing to improve mileage is keep up on maintenance, oil, plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, etc. And dont drive it hard

2. PIAA is a great bulb, BUT, they get EXTREMELY HOT! I installed some PIAA fog light bulbs and they melted the housing. I would recommend some Sylvania Silverstar. These are great bulbs and good light output.

Old 12-08-06, 06:08 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
I read something about leaving your tailgate down.

Old 12-08-06, 06:33 PM
That tailgate down has been mythbusted. You actually get better mileage with it up.

Old 12-08-06, 08:03 PM
M
Leave your tailgate up and trade up...... to a T-O-Y-O-T-A.

Old 12-09-06, 03:33 AM
Yep, leave your tail gate up and drive it straight to Toyoya and trade it in for a Corola Hybrid or something like that.

I have an 05 Ram Hemi and the head lights works fine, I don't think you be able to adjust the highbeam though, if you want more light, add another set of Baja off road behind the front grill and run them alone, don't tap into the factory lighting system because they'll creates an electrical problem nightmare that makes you regreted doing it.

About the gas mileage, I never notice or worry about that, it's a truck and it has a big bad powerful V8 engine in it that translate to gas burner.

Old 12-09-06, 05:10 PM
M
tail gate up

You have a fuel monster my buddy has one and he is also complaining about the fuel he has the 3/4 ton 4x4. Not much you can do about the gas just keep your tires inflated and stay off the gas.
Mythbusters (tv show) has proven tail gate up is best way to save gas.
However on the plus side you will be the first to the gas pump with that Hemi power. Dont mess with the lights as far as more watts your wires will get hot and fry your harrness.

Old 12-10-06, 04:43 PM
B
I have an 05 Ram hemi also. I don't worry about the gas because I don't run it with the pedal to the metal. Nice to have the power when you need it. Had smaller truck before and would never go back.

Old 12-10-06, 05:59 PM
S
dodge hemi

I like the big engine and the truck as well but there are people that like to tinker with engines and trucks and i'm looking for somebody that might have tried something on their dodge hemi and found it to get better gas milage; and also if somebody tried the piaa light bulbs in thier dodge and if they worked cause they are expensive to buy. I've been told by a distributer that the current draw on these bulbs is the same as the halogen stock light but they are much brighter!!

Old 12-31-06, 12:32 PM
W
Improving gas milage

A magnaflow low restriction exhaust system, and a K&N air intake improved my gas milage dramaticly! Nitrogen in my 285-R70 17's also helped.
The numbers are 700km stock to a 135L tank. After installing the Magnaflow it jumped to 850km! A few months later I put on the K&N air intake system and realized a further saving of 75km per tank. After blowing a tire, the tire shop suggeated Nitrogen, at $4 a tire. This took me up to 950km per tank.
Recently my milage has been dropping without any apearant reason. My dealer replaced the faulty throtle body with no improvement, except throtle responce is better. If I nurse it I get 750km per tank now. I don't think that it has anything to do with the modifacatrions that I made, but am stumped.
The truck, a 1500 Ram 4 dr 8' box, has 55,000 km on it, and utherwise runs well.

Old 12-31-06, 06:02 PM
M
I've heard about the nitrogen in tires but I never heard the logic behind it. What is the thinking behind that?

Old 12-31-06, 06:15 PM
M
my 2 cents

We use nitrogen in our aircraft tires and the reason for that is it is water free and it does not change pressure with temprature. I do not really see any great savings on a automotive application.

Old 01-01-07, 11:28 PM
M
You can also change out your differential to higher (numerically lower) gears.

Old 01-15-07, 02:27 PM
C
Improveing gas milage

Ok here are some expensive things to do to your hemi as I have to mine and on highway I get around 22 miles per gallon and city at about 15

1st is complete exhaust system larger for smoother better air flow. about 1200.00 adds about 60-70 horse power
2 Cold air intake system about 50.00 adds about 10 horse power
3. SUPER CHIP adds about 60-70 horse power. about if I am not mistaking its right at 350.00
4.also replace the factory plugs and wires to a better set due to the factory crap is crap not quite a good enough spark or transfer in power. these little items you will fell it in you pocket.

for the mentally challenged people just because you add horse power does not mean you get worse gas milage. I gets with the intake better colder air flow which if you watch when it is colder outside you get better gas milage versus if it is 90 degrees outside.
your larger exhaust lets air flow out more smoothly versus pushing it out robbing you of gas milage. I have a 2004 (pre mds) with 450 horsepower at the flywheel and I get 22 on the highway if I watch it real close I have gotton 25 mpg on the highway. now if I get on it on the little roads I get close to 8 to 9 sometimes as low as 6 miles per gallon. yall have fun now

Old 01-15-07, 03:24 PM
You will not gain 60-70 hp with exhaust. I would like to see the dyno readings on that. With the chip, you will probably only gain 10 hp at the wheels.

Old 01-16-07, 02:51 AM
Originally Posted by Country4life
Ok here are some expensive things to do to your hemi as I have to mine and on highway I get around 22 miles per gallon and city at about 15

1st is complete exhaust system larger for smoother better air flow. about 1200.00 adds about 60-70 horse power
2 Cold air intake system about 50.00 adds about 10 horse power
3. SUPER CHIP adds about 60-70 horse power. about if I am not mistaking its right at 350.00
4.also replace the factory plugs and wires to a better set due to the factory crap is crap not quite a good enough spark or transfer in power. these little items you will fell it in you pocket.

Over $1600 added onto the truck just so one can save couple of bucks per tank !. I'll pass.

Old 01-16-07, 03:08 PM
M
Lots of mods

I concur all those mods will help but I think not all that much maybe 20 hp and a few foot pounds of torque.
My buddy has all this stuff but his mileage is offset by the fact that he can not keep his foot out of the gas.
It seems like the sound of the flowmasters has an effect on the brain to go fast.
Not only that if your truck is under warranty you can toss that out the door once the dealer sees all the mods. The chip by itself will void any engine warranty.
And they will know if it has been messed with.

Old 01-16-07, 08:32 PM
They technically can't void any warranty regardless of mods if they can't prove the mod itself caused the problem. It is some Act or something, begins with M? Morgusson or something.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: