1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel

Old 01-05-07, 01:11 PM
Question 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel

Loss of Power,
Previously I was able to get on the freeway on ramp at 70mph, now I'm lucky to reach 40mph.
I took the truck to the local dealer and the following repairs were done: New computer, new EGR valve and a new trubo. These repairs did not fix the problem. When I took the truck back I was told that the transmission had a weak torque convertor. Any ideas what could be wrong with my truck? I would hate to spend another $3000.00 when they can't guarantee the results.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-07, 04:00 PM
First you have to determine if it's the engine or farther down the power train. If the dealer was installing the items referred to, then simply says its the torque converter, it's an indication they hadn't made that determination before they started installing very expensive parts.

Does the engine rev up and the pickup just doesn't accelerate? If so it could be something other than the engine. If the engine is "dogging" then it's in the engine.

The computer diagnostics should have pointed at things in the engine and if not, a dyno test would have indicated if the engine was putting out what it should.

There really isn't any point in working on the torque converter if the engine is at fault and vice versa.

If the computer is new and working right, the next thing on a performance list would be fuel delivery (lift pump) and fuel injection pump. Both of those can and should be checked.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 01-05-07, 08:45 PM
Wink 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel

Thank you for your response,
According to the service manager the 'DYNO' called for these items to be replaced. I always felt the they digonosed the problem incorrctly, to me it seems like there's an air restriction somewhere. I will check and see how to do a fuel delivery test.

Old 01-05-07, 09:54 PM
It sounds more like a shotgun approach by the dealer. The chance of a turbo, a computer, and EGR valve all being defective would be slim. A Cummins is put together much better than that.

The dyno would show the horsepower output of the engine. Are they saying it's producing the rated horsepower now?

The fuel delivery by the lift (or transfer) pump is low end technical. That pump just gets the fuel from the tank to the injector pump. The latter would require specialized tools and a much higher level of expertise.

An air restriction on a diesel would result in a lot of black smoke.

I think I would consider a diesel shop to take a look at it if the symptoms point toward the engine rather than the torque converter or transmission.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 01-06-07, 06:55 AM
no power

ck for a stoped up cat converter or a restricted air flow to the intake

Last edited by jamesdka; 01-06-07 at 07:04 AM. Reason: forgot somthing
Old 01-06-07, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by jamesdka View Post
ck for a stoped up cat converter or a restricted air flow to the intake
i don't believe diesels have cat converters...

Old 01-07-07, 05:40 AM
Check the fuel delivery system first if I were you, most of time the fuel transfer pump on the side of the block is bad and if keeps driving with bad fuel transfer pump could lead to damaging a very expensive injection pump, there are many other things that could creates a lack of/no power on diesel engine but most of the time, they are a "fuel related issue".

Is there any smoke (black, white...) on accel?, how's throttle response to rpm?.

Old 01-07-07, 11:20 AM
Like said - does it smoke under hard acceleration?

Check the incoming Air - not sure how the turbo's are activated on the Cummins ( I have a chevy) but look for clogged air filter, restricted incoming air, poor turbo response.

Also, if the "lift" ( fuel) pump is getting weak, it won't supply the fuel needed for hard acceleration.

Old 01-20-07, 01:05 PM
cat's

diesels do have cat convertors and you can remove them with no problem as they do plug up only the brand new diesels u can not remove them as per too many o2 sensers i have a 03 ford and they recomemded i take the cat out, but have had no problems yet.

Old 01-20-07, 04:33 PM
would probably run by an exhuast shop and have them do a back pressure test on the exhuast system simple test they can do in about ten minutes to eliminate that possibility.
if the exhuast is ok would suggest seeing a diesel shop as this dealer obviously do not know what they are doing.

Old 01-20-07, 08:44 PM
if you do have a cat cut it off unless your in california they are no good just more money for the shops and are only for emmissions a 40 dollar piece of pipe is better hen a 400.00 cat witch can cause problems .

Old 01-20-07, 08:49 PM
actually in most states that have vehicle inspections or emmisions checks a cat is required to pass.

Old 01-21-07, 02:23 PM
cats are not required in canada not sure about all the states just know cali has harsh emissions.

Old 01-25-07, 09:19 PM
It could be your a fuel pump or the injection pump. A wore out injection pump will cause this because it isnt spraying in enough fuel. If it is the IP then it should take longer to start.

Old 02-07-07, 05:24 PM
Weak DODGE Diesel take off

33zfb did you ever find out what was going no with your dodge ? I seam to have come up with it also last week ! Thanks John