Coughing 92 Chevy Silverado

Old 01-08-07, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Coughing 92 Chevy Silverado

I think my fuel pump is going out.
Idling the thing purrs like a kitten. When I accelerate from a stop It coughs and sputters. I've replaced the fuel filter. But I've been told it's the fuel pump. How much can I expect to pay for a new fuel pump.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-07, 06:26 PM
My '93 Silverado was doing the same, but after changing spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, it runs like new. The plug wires were the most expensive part, but they weren't too bad. Check your distributor cap. There may be moisture in it or the contact points might be corroded like mine were. That's my guess.

Pecos

Old 01-09-07, 06:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 29 Posts
I agree; start with the easy, less expensive possibilities. I wouldn't condemn the fuel pump without a pressure test.

Old 01-14-07, 10:35 AM
chevy sputter

how many miles are on your truck because it not only could be the normal tune up issues but your ditributor could be worn out I have come across alot of these the shaft bushhings wear out and the dist. moves around causing these problems and too many people want to blame the fuel pump. the fuel pump is controlled by the dist. in this style of injection system so do the tune up first if the problem still occurs replace the dist. it will run you around 120 bucks for a new one from your local parts store.