85 Toyota truck wont start when hot

Old 02-18-07, 01:19 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
85 Toyota truck wont start when hot

I'm original owner of 2WD, 22R engine, Long Bed, 1/2 Ton Toyota Pick Up with carburetor. It has 275K and it runs fine during winter but it wont start during 100+ summer temperatures in Las Vegas or when hood left closed. Starter just clicks but wont turn motor over unless 'quickly' cooled down with opened hood or when it's partially-cracked open. I have installed several batteries, alternators, starters, thermostats & one radiator. Aforementioned starting problem appears on any day when any of first 3 described parts are replaced or when engine runs hard (fully loaded after 200 mile nonstop drive at 80-90mile/h on the freeway when I stop for gas.

Is there some element in starting system that may have aged/deteriorated and is also heat sensitive?

I would like to add that genuine Toyota parts began to brake down after 175K but any after market parts did not last as long as original ones did.

Thank you 4 any ideas, so I can jump again like in those old TV commercials.... : ^ )
Rubaruni

Old 02-18-07, 06:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
Welcome to the forums

It might be time to replace the starter. Check all the cables and connections.

Old 02-18-07, 07:02 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Ditto to marksr points. You must be sure all connections are absolutely clean.

One thing you do not mention replacing. Battery cables. I have seen cables that, when insulation is removed, to be filled with corrosion. The metal is effectively being eaten away and can no longer carry the neccessary current when everything is hot. (BTW- electrical resistance increases as the temp of a conductor increases. That means it takes more energy (from the battery) to perform the same amount of work (running the starter).)

The situation you describe is very typical of a "hot soak starter condition" and is often found to be a questionable starter. Due to the high ambient temps experienced, I would think this a common problem in Las Vegas.

I was wondering. Why is it LAS Vegas but it is LOS Angeles?

Back to the topic at hand.

After confirming excellent connections and the integrity of the cables, I would look to the starter. Sometimes you simply cannot get the same quality as OEM in the aftermarket world. I can assure you the starter will cost more (probably a LOT more) from a Toyota dealer, but aftermarket parts often lack the quality of a NEW (not rebuilt) unit.

Although the ambient temp is a big problem, the proximity to the engine also transfers a great amount of heat to the starter. Many vehicles utilize a heat shield to aid in the deflection of the heat. Some folks tend to discard them as they deteriorate rather than replace them as they should.

You might check with the Toyota dealer to see if a heat shield was offered as a tech repair for situations such as this if the starter did not originally utilize one.

Old 02-19-07, 12:42 AM
R
85 Toyota wont start when hot

Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Welcome to the forums

It might be time to replace the starter. Check all the cables and connections.

Thanks Marksr 4 your prompt reply.

Two yrs ago I thought my headache was solved when I discovered completely corroded through ground/negative cable that was barely hanging on with 2-3 strings. New gold plated battery connectors were also attached to prevent previous and continuous battery post oxidation. But I have not replaced positive wire yet, so I'll do it now.
I have doubts that so many starters may be bad even they're from so many different remanufacturers. Prior to any returns, in-store starter tests performed well because they were always cold not matching earlier mentioned heat.

Rebaruni

Old 02-19-07, 01:58 AM
R
85 Toyota wont start when hot

Thanks Nap 4 your reply too.

In previous starter installations, I recall, not so tightly attached starter wire as other connection, so it may be it. But then if wire harness is 'shaken', engine should start and this problem would be throughout winter months too, and I wouldn't have to open hood. Remember, when heat quickly escapes, engine always starts immediately and during numerous attempts.

I've done all work on the truck myself and starter was not shielded but I look into it. My current starter was purchased at Toyota dealership and next day I experienced starting problem again. Starters with Lifetime Warranty purchased at NAPA Auto-parts, Checkers, Pep Boys or Chiefs Auto-parts failed me in my earlier replacements and due to vehicle's age only rebuilt starters are available now. I still have re-built Bosch starter which I have not had on it yet but I will re-check recommended wiring connections prior to it's installation.

Somebody suggested following solution to this local heat problem: bi-passing starter solenoid. This new solenoid is placed away from heat exposure. Do you know anything about this trick?

Rebaruni

Old 02-19-07, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 145 Votes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by nap View Post
I was wondering. Why is it LAS Vegas but it is LOS Angeles?

"Vegas" is feminine (las) and "Angeles" is masculine (los).

Like las amigas (female friends) and los amigos (male friends).

Obviously Los Angeles is a much more manly place to be.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: