Towing question

Old 03-03-07, 11:24 AM
Towing question

I have a 16' four winns boat, i/o,and trailer
The boat,motor,trailer ,and allowing for 300# of extras,will be around
3700 lbs. I got this info from the manfacture of boat.

Question: Will my 2004 GMC L.B., auto tran.,4x4,4.8 liter be able to haul this boat ? Owners manual says up 7K lbs., but i would like to get opinions from those who tow. Any other advice such as towing speed,hitch type,etc.would also be appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-07, 11:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have a 1700 lb utility/car trailer that I pull with a ford 360 cid 4x4, 4 speed and occasionally a jeep 4.0 automatic. I don't know how much my ford tractor weighs but most cars will add an excess of 2000 lbs. Both have enough power to pull the loaded trailer but the jeep has handling problems with it in speeds over 45 mph, no handling problems with the truck.

If I used my trailer more often I would definetly see about adding brakes - all that weight makes it hard to stop quickly!

Old 03-03-07, 12:00 PM
Good points! I don't want to get myself into a situation that i could have avoided. No doubt the 460 doesn't know it has anything hanging off the back of it. My son towed this boat combo with a 3/4ton Chevrolet 350,4x4 without any trouble.
Thanks for your reply
daswede

Old 03-05-07, 03:21 PM
Towing

I've been towing a trailer for 10 Years. First off you should try to find out what your axle ratio is. Then search the web on trailer towing capacities for that year with the engine and axle ratio. Don't rely on the owners manual unless it breaks it down for you. I do know that 4x4 tow a little less weight than 4x2. A friend of relied on a trailer place and they told himthat his truck would pull his trailer because the book they had said it would., but NOT with his axle ratio. I have a 2000 Express with a 350 and 4.10 will only pull 8300lbs Check axle and engine combo to be sure.

Old 03-05-07, 03:32 PM
Thanks. I checked out the manual and a trailer shop.
I should be well within the specs.

Old 03-06-07, 10:22 PM
Pay attention to your brakes

Yes the main thing would be your brakes, the 4.8 L is not the best for towing compared to a 5.3 L or 6.0L, not enough torque my friend, most people look at the horsepower but what the driver actually feels is the torque.
Anyways that's almost 2 tons of weight you're gonna pull, pay close attention to your rear axle brakes, depending on your trailer's tongue weight those are the first to go.
I'm assuming you will pull with the hitch receiver not with bumper, using a 2 " ball, make sure trailer is leveled with vehicle, get a ball mount with more drop if needed, 1/2 " pin lock.

Old 03-07-07, 04:41 AM
The truck is fairly new with 15k miles on it. I agree that the 5.3 would be a better choice,but i have what i have. This is a temporary situation till my son gets his Chev 3/4 ton replaced.
NO bumper hitch,probably a class 2 or 3, 2" ball,1/2 inch pin.
I was kind of border line on the trucks ability to tow such weight.
Appreciate your input

Old 03-07-07, 05:07 AM
gsr
Trailer brakes...

Does the trailer have surge brakes or some other form of brakes? It should at that weight.

You'll know the trailer is back there and won't win any speed races but your truck will pull it - the frame and brakes are up to the task. Boats pull much easier than a similar weight travel trailer.
Keep on eye on your transmission fluid, if it starts to smell burnt change it out regularily. Use the tow-haul button and if the transmission shifts a lot pull in 3rd (probably not a bad idea anyways).

If you have the 3.25 or 3.41(?) you'll notice the boat even more and work the transmission more than if you have the 3.73 ratio.

Edit - get a decent class 3 hitch with the 2" bar. Also if your truck doesn't have a transmission oil cooler get one. The hitch will run $100-150 and the trans. oil cooler will run $50-100, both can be DIY installs if your handy or done relatively cheaply by the supplier.

Old 03-07-07, 07:03 AM
Boat is a 16' fourwinns,inboard-outboard,trailer is single axel no brakes.

Truck is 4x4, long bed,auto. Gvw= 6400, max trailer wt=7000lbs. 3.73 axel ratio.

Old 03-07-07, 08:01 AM
gsr
Brakes...

With the 3.73 gears you'll be fine just don't plan on being in a huge hurry.

I'd definately add the transmission oil cooler and class 3 hitch they don't cost much and can save you a lot of money in the long run.

Now for trailer brakes if your weight really is 3700lbs, I'd recommend a trailer with surge brakes if you are going to tow it much. Most states have a 3000lb limit anything over that is required to have brakes. I saw somewhere Mass. has a 10,000 limit so as long as you don't leave the state legally you're ok.

Have fun and enjoy the boat!

Old 03-07-07, 08:31 AM
gsr,

Thanks much for your input.
I feel better now that i have enough info for
my trailering.

Old 03-07-07, 10:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Braking can't be over emphasized! Until you know and understand how long it takes to stop your truck with trailer in tow be sure to give yourself plenty of braking room. It is easy to get lulled into forgetting the trailer is back there when you are truckin down the road. You don't want to find yourself in a sitiuation where you need to stop quicker than you are able.

Old 03-07-07, 10:25 AM
I agree. Braking is at the top of the list for trailering.

Appreciate the input from all those who replied.

daswede