Trouble starting

Old 03-07-07, 11:44 AM
Trouble starting

I have a 1996 silverado 2500 diesel, I usually park it inside at night but the other night i was not at home and had to park it outside. I woke up in the morning and i knew i would have problems starting it since its an older diesel (i just put all new glow plugs and 2 new batteries in it a few months ago). Anyways it took several tries and finally it started. My problem now is that every time i go to start it, it turns over slow and sounds like its about to die (like when yo start it in the cold) but then it fires up after maybe like 5-10 seconds of that. Now if i run it shut it off and then try to start it again it does the same thing but for a shorter time periode. And this happens even when t has been parked in my parking garage all night. Anyone know where i should look first. i know the batteries are an obvious first check but anything other suggestions. thanks

Last edited by Malyon18; 03-07-07 at 11:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-07, 04:44 PM
Well, is the starter drawing too much current or the battery/wiring not able to deliver enough current to the starter? If you have a good voltmeter, its easy enough to check the voltage drop across EACH connection from the battery positive terminals to the starter, and don't forget from the starter back to the battery negative.

Old 03-07-07, 07:18 PM
thanks i will try that

Old 03-07-07, 07:36 PM
thanks i will try that