Advice for replacing travel trailer cabinets

Old 03-21-07, 08:05 PM
Question Advice for replacing travel trailer cabinets

I just got my first new-to-me travel trailer that's a bit of a fixer-upper. It's a 1977 Terry Taurus and I'd like to replace the cabinets since they look pretty old and trashy. Any advice on where to get replacements or on the best materials to use to make replacements? I thought about using prebuilt, unfinished wooden cabinets from someplace like Lowe's or Home Depot, but I worry about the weight. I haven't been able to find out the present weight of the camper and our Toyota Tacoma (with a towing package) has a towing limit of 6500 lbs.
I've been able to find new dinette cushions, but the gaucho couch and fold-down bunk bed had to be replaced with some oddly sized futons because I couldn't find anything close to the sizes that were already in the camper (both were 88" long!).

Any refurnishing advice would be greatly appreciated as would any general travel trailer advice for this eager, but uninformed, newbie.

Thanks in Advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-07, 02:37 PM
I've seen many nice new RV and camper cabinets on Ebay. You might give it a try.

Old 03-31-07, 01:56 AM
Red face Weight

You may want to tow it over to a truck scale. Try to get each side weighed separately then together. I have used a scale at a dump/transfer station many times up in North Syracuse NY years ago. It was free.
Good Luck

Old 04-11-07, 09:18 PM
Question Thanks and Update

Thanks for the advice!
I've ordered new pine cabinet doors and drawer fronts to replace the swollen presswood ones in the trailer. Also, I've painted the cabinets a light neutral color to brighten the interior.
Unfortunately, while painting I made some nasty discoveries:
1. The newly painted ceiling seems to have several "soft spots". My husband says that replacing the ceiling panels won't be too much trouble, but I'm worried about other surprises.
2. There are a few places where the walls also have soft spots and these seem to be a lot more difficult to fix. We were told when we bought it that the roof used to leak but had been repaired. We've had a couple of storms since then and there don't seem to be any leaks, so do we really need to replace the wall panels? If so, how do we do that?

Thanks again!

Old 04-12-07, 03:44 AM
You might want to post your question about wall replacement in the Walls & Ceilings Forum.

Old 04-22-07, 11:10 AM
Smile Thanks!

I haven't had a chance to explore all of the forums yet. I didn't even know that there was a wall forum for trailers!

Old 04-22-07, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
When replacing wall panels and the upright wall studding you need to know that the wall structure is taken into account when the steel undercarriage is designed.
The walls add to the ridgidity of what the whole trailer is resting on.

You need to asses how bad the wall damage is.
In order to do this however you would need to remove wall panels to see if the wood framing is bad.

If it is just a few small spots and is not cosmetically bad then you could likely just leave it.
I would however suggest that you do pull some wall panels to see if the wall framing had deteriorated to the point that the trailer could buckle on rough roads.

I'm sure it will be fine but it would be good to know if the problems are more serious.

And hey, there is a trailer wall forum. You are already there!

Old 09-06-09, 08:34 PM
Feel luck to have found this forum

I have a '73 travel trailer that has been gutted, new walls (used) underlayment(sp?). Have no idea is the correct material or if he put insulation in. I have some nice pine kitchen cabinets that I want to hang for the overhead cabinets. Are they too heavy? I haven't been able to find any travel trailer replacement cabinets anywhere on line. Thanks.

Old 09-07-09, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator
Welcome to our forums!

Pine cabinets could be too heavy.
By themselves maybe not but if this is the start of your renovation and you use standard construction and materials you would overload the undercarriage.

You likely can't find cabinets as trailer cabinets are normally custom built, many being assembled in place.
This saves a lot of weight in that you use the trailer wall as the backs and the material in trailer interior construction is usually pretty flimsy.

I would suggest you plan out the entire project and decide exactly what materials you will be using to see if you can save weight.

Old 09-07-09, 04:24 PM
So you are saying build the cabinets from scratch? And when you say overload the undercarriage, what exactly are you referring to?

Old 09-07-09, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator
Unlike kitchen cabinets for a house, camper furnishings are built for light weight.
If you rebuild this thing and do not try to keep the weight down you will overload the running gear.

Most of the campers I have seen do not have generously sized running gear.
This means that the wheels and axles can not carry much more weight than the camper and a modest amount of gear.

I don't think anyone can say exactly what you can get away with as we do not know how big this thing is, whether it is a single or dual axle or what the Gross Vehicle Weight Capacity is.
You need to use your better judgment in deciding what weight cabinets and other things you can put in there.

Old 09-29-09, 05:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can you look at a used one is selling them for parts?