78' Chevy truck electronic problems

Old 03-25-07, 06:03 AM
78' Chevy truck electronic problems

I have a 78' chevy with a 350 in it. Let me start by saying my brake lights and front parking lights will not turn off. I've changed the button on the break peddle. I've checked all of the fuses. The brake light fuse keeps popping. The horn sounds sometimes when I hit the blinker, and I saw smoke the other day comming out of my stearing column. Can all of these things be linked? I know I need to pull the steering wheel off and check my wiring. My question is, can a short in the stearing column cause my lights to stay on like they do? the only way to turn them off is to disconect the battery.

thanx

matt

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-07, 06:52 AM
tilt wheel?

You got tilt wheel? I bet the problem is inside your steering coloum.

Old 03-25-07, 07:06 AM
yup, its a tilt wheel. any advice on how to take it off? I got the book to guide me, but i've never done that before.

matt

Old 03-25-07, 07:40 AM
not sure

Not sure on how to remove it but tilt wheels of that year cause a lot of problems. It seems that over the years the wires moving up and down break and short out. same goes for were wires go thru doors many problems there also.

Old 03-25-07, 08:10 AM
thanx so much. I'll look in the doors as well just to make sure it doesn't happen again.

matt

Old 04-20-07, 07:45 AM
shorts

I ended up having 4 different shorts in my wiring. 1 was in the steering colom and the others were under my dash. Thanx for all the help