Changing Fluids.

Old 05-23-07, 05:59 AM
Changing Fluids.

Is it really necessary to replace transmission fluid, transfer case oil, differential oil in front and rear? I have a 2000 montero sport w/o LSD rear axle. 47K mi. During the winter I had belts replaced (got ripped off, too cold to do it myself) and the repair guy said I needed to replace the above mentiond fluid. I said no. figured I'd do it in the summer. the cost of the fluid is very high. the severe maintenece schedule say to replace the fluid the regular maintence says to check the fluid. my wife uses the car to bring the kids to school and do local errands. I nerver changed the above fluids in any of the cars I owned!!! I had them a long time w/o problems.. any suggestions???

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-07, 05:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Seeing that your vehicle is probably out of warranty already, you probably do not need to change this.

I've had trucks and cars with over 170k miles and never had any tranny flushes, or diff. changes.

If you were under warranty, then I wouls say yes, because if something happens, they would deny the work for failure to maintain maintenance.

Old 05-23-07, 06:54 PM
Thanks. Thats what I thought but things change with newer cars. Never hurts to check.

Old 05-23-07, 07:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is still a good idea to replace these fluids every 25-50k, just not as important as the engine oil. Now if you do some extreme 4 wheeling, creeks and such, it is very important to change the fluid anytime there is a chance that water has entered the system!

Old 05-23-07, 09:26 PM
I myself would change the tranny fluid if you live in a city and drive it fairly hard or if you use it to tow.(trailer,boat,ect) Check your tranny fluid and see if it smells burnt at all. If it does i would be more likely to change it. Also to consider is how long you plan on keeping the vehicle. If you plan on keeping it a long time i would change all the fluids just to remove the metal flake that is created during the break-in period.

Old 06-05-07, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't worry about the differential or t-case. It's not hard to do if you decide down the road that you want to.

The tranny if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time I'd get a flush since you have relatively low miles now. Then from there on out every 50-60,000 I'd drop the tranny pan and replace the filter and drain any fluid that comes out but don't flush it. Once you start getting some more miles on the debris basically holds your tranny together and flushing it out can make the tranny worse than it started.

If you don't plan on having the vehicle for more than 100,000 or so I'd skip it all together and save the money on a flush.

Old 06-05-07, 01:16 PM
Thanks for all the input. I'll take a look at the tranny this summer.