Poor fuel economy on Powerstroke

Old 05-28-07, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Poor fuel economy on Powerstroke

I have a 2002 F-250 with the 7.3L Powerstroke. It is a 4X4 with front bumper replacement, and 305/70 tires on stock rims. When I bought the truck, about 18 months ago, I was getting 16.5-17 MPG, IN TOWN, pulling a 9000 pound trailer. The fuel mileage has gradually gone down over the past few months, and now I get 11.5-12.5, in town, on the highway, and NOT pulling anything. I can baby it, or drive it hard, with no effect on economy. The tranny seems to be functioning as it's supposed to, no slippage or anything like that. I took it to the Ford dealership last week, they replaced the No. 8 injector but that has only marginally helped (about .5 MPG). I used a programmer, on the "economy" setting, to no avail. The truck has 97K on it, which is just getting broken in good, but the warranty is about to run out, and I need to figure out what's wrong with it, any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-07, 09:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you changed your fuel filter lately?

I'm not to knowledgable on diesels so I can't help too much.

Old 05-30-07, 01:51 PM
diesel economy

well it could be the new ultra low sulfur diesel but , I have a '07 duramax 6.6 L V8 diesel and overall I get 11 mpg on average ( avg economy display ).
so anything above that should be ok I think. True is a 1 ton diff ( 3500 ) vs. 3/4 diff on the F250 or chevy 2500 HD but again I don't know if that would make a big difference on fuel economy.

Old 05-31-07, 03:03 PM
M
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Just a thought and may have something to do with your problem. The injection system on a Powerstroke is driven by the motor oil. Problems can develop if you use the wrong motor oil. I don't know if those are residue or sludge problems or the details that go with it.

Might pay to check it out,

Bob

Old 05-31-07, 05:30 PM
I have an 87 Chevy 1ton diesel and the ultra low sulfur fuel hurt my milage. I used to use Power Service ever few tanks, now I use it every tank full. Brought the milage close to where it was before.