Volvo D12

Old 06-06-07, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Volvo D12

Hi. I have a 99 Volvo tractor/trailer with a D12 motor. This morning, it started sputtin as it idles that lets me know I may have a possible electronic fuel injector or 2 bad. It sputted as a car would with a bad spark plug. (ROUGH IDLE) Its also smoking a blue/grey in color out of the exhuast very heavy. I also notice a ping and click/tapping sound as it started. Just on start. Once I turned it off, it turned of extremly slower than it normally would. Normally, It would turn of such as a car would, within a second. Now its turning off such as a washing machine on spin cycle would, just within about 3-5 sec from fast to slow to off. Every mechanical shop in my area are backed up till mid-end of next week. Have anyone ever had problems such as this or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.......

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-07, 05:08 AM
It sounds like a bad injector. A bad injector will make it idle rough and smoke and, if the injector is leaking, will not allow it to shut down immediately...the engine will continue to "run" until all of the dripping fuel is consumed. Do you have a Check Engine light on?

Old 06-07-07, 01:06 PM
Hi hewitt and thanks for the reply. The shop called this afternoon and said #1,2 & 6 injectors are reading to be bad. The check engine light comes on for a while and read injector #2 and then goes off. Every one I talk to said all 3 wouldn't go bad at one time and shop may be adding more to what is just minor. Any other suggestions?

Old 06-12-07, 04:38 AM
I apologize for the delayed response. It is very possible the injectors are bad...injectors are normally only good for about 125-150k...what mileage does your truck have? Aside from an injector that is leaking (causing the engine "run-on" and smoke) the engine electronics may be picking up excessive resistance from the injectors that will/may cause a problem down the road. If you have more than 100k on the engine, I suggest replacing all six injectors, tune the overhead, and change fuel filter(s). "Bad" injectors will continue to function for quite a while but you'll probably notice excessive fuel consumption, excessive smoke, and possibly engine "run-on" as you are experiencing now.